1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help needed...battery/xmission issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rbprius2, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Rbprius2

Rbprius2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New to forum. I got a 2006 Prius with 290k miles and car just died while driving home. Towed it to my mechanic and was diagnosed with both batteries needed to be replace. Was charged $2150 for a refurbished battery. Now, I'm told the xmission is also bad. I'm probably $2150 under since my mechanic said its highly unlikely I can return batteries. Used xmission parts n labor another $1500. Looking for any suggestions/opinions on what my next step should be. Spend the extra $1500 for xmission, do nothing and try to sell car as is, have battery removed and sell separately???
    Thanks

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would have asked for a second opinion over $2000 ago, I sure would want one now.

For help here you need the Diagnostic codes. Usually one alphabetic character followed by 4 alphanumeric characters. some times there are additional sub codes.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! what brand of replacement hybrid battery did he install? i'm thinking at almost 300k, you might want to pack it in, but a lot of taxi's go 4-500,000 miles, if you don't mind spending the money on repairs. they find that cheaper than buying another car.

4. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This car was improperly diagnosed to begin with. A battery fault and transaxle fault have different symptoms.

XT1585 ?

5. Rbprius2

Rbprius2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, thanks guys. I'm realizing now that I took the wrong steps in properly diagnosing/fixing the issue. What I'm trying to figure out now is what's the best option for me, moving forward. For example, would it be a better option to sell the car as is or maybe have the battery removed and sell separately? Is there any demand for a refurbished Prius battery? Anyone have any idea how much the car would be worth right now with the refurbished battery, but bad xmission? I'm trying to recoup as much of what I spent

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's a toyota oem, you should be able to get 2k for it.

7. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What makes your mechanic think it's a bad tranny now?

XT1585 ?

8. Rbprius2

Rbprius2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry guys, I don't fully understand and I gotta do more research about this both mechanically and technically. What what I can grasp and what's being explained to me is that the battery won't somehow work together with the xmission and won't recharge itself normally. It can be driven but it looses charge and dies again, obviously because it won't recharge and I guess the xmission is somehow related. They had to bring in a company to recharge it and I guess it has stay on a charging machine. I'll ask that we remove the, your being scammed, out of the the discussion as I've know them for 30 yrs. Maybe a bad diagnosis but not someone trying to take advantage of me.

9. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im not questioning intentions, just skill. If you want to know what questions to ask, I might be able to help. Load testing a battery is a pain, but easy enough. If there is a bus voltage issue, it would be easy to see with a scan tool, I don't know what your mechanic is using though.

XT1585 ?

10. Rbprius2

Rbprius2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For a non hybrid car, I know the battery/power is no way related to xmission issues. Is it true that for a hybrid the xmission is related to the battery? I'm assuming it is because how the car recharges itself during driving.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm. Sounds like something is lost in translation.
    I'm happy to chat with you or mechanic about it. I would be interested in understanding from the beginning to how we got to this point.

Not common to need a new hybrid battery and a new transmission at the same time.

If simply a case of the hybrid battery not being charged, that doesn't always mean the hybrid battery is bad.
    It could mean the component which does the charging is bad.
    The diagnostic codes should help point things in the right direction.

In certain cases you may be able to return the refurbished battery and just pay a restocking fee. Depends on the supplier. If replacing the battery did not fix the problem, it may be worth pursuing the return as a money saving effort.

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Mechanic may be fine for a conventional car, but it sounds like he is out of his element w/ hybrids. We all learn from our mistakes, unfortunately, you are paying for his education. He is a "professional," and should not be making such costly mistakes. I'd want a refund of sorts. You paid for services not rendered.

How did he determine the HV Battery was bad? What codes did he read? Did he share those codes with you or any codes for that matter? If you have those codes, what are they?

Big mistake was agreeing to a refurbished HV Battery for $2150, when you could get a NEW, OEM HV Battery for $2071 + tax (165.68) + labor (maybe $500). Mechanic would just have to transfer over the HV ECUs from the old battery in to the new battery and a few other items. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Toyota of San Bernardino Online Parts Store
    Had you done this, you could just take this relatively portable asset with you into another Gen2 Prius. An accident (where battery is still recoverable) or a cost prohibitive repair w/ current Prius, forces you into a different car. Buy a later model Gen2 with a bad battery, purchased at a discount, and swap in your newer battery and all will be well.

You are stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place. Get AAA's Premier Tow Service; tows upto 200miles. Tow the Prius to Avi in Inglewood; distance calculator Chino to Inglewood is 49miles. Hybrid Fix - Auto Repair - Inglewood, CA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp. He has a good reputation here on PC and is knowledgeable. He will be able to provide the correct diagnosis, to put you in a better informed decision on what to do: repair or cut your losses.

Trusted mechanic for conventional cars, OK.
    Hybrids, NO, unless doing an oil change, tire rotation, and nothing more. Even he shouldn't screw-up those simple tasks.

#12 exstudent, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  13. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can imagine a scenario where the hybrid battery was not being charged, then when it was depleted, The error code would likely indicate Hybrid Battery Failure. So follow a diagnostic tree may lead a mechanic to replace the hybrid battery. The 12v would likely be tested as well, and if it failed the test, it would be replaced as well. At this point we don't really know what symptoms and codes the mechanic was presented with. I'm not saying it's right. Just saying I can imagine how one could be misdirected down the wrong path.

Buying a refurbished battery isn't necessarily a mistake. Depends on each customer's situation and personal choice.

Hopefully this will get figured out with the minimum amount of cash outlay for RbPrius2.

exstudent, As you've seen on Priuschat, there are plenty of mechanics that can screw up even an oil change in a Prius (by overfilling). Ugh.

14. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All appropriate advise to this point IMO, but the DTC's will lend even more credible support when provided. Surely, he was able to pull/read these codes prior to providing an explanation and subsequent work for you. If you have them or could get no doubt they would lend additional support for request for help.

15. Rbprius2

Rbprius2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

It was communicated to me that the battery was diagnosed bad, but also that it was possible other issues other than battery may also exist. They couldn't tell untill the first issue, battery, was replaced. So, yes I was warned the issue might not all be the battery. I hoped that by replacing the battery, it would solve the issue. Also, the codes were not shared with me nor did I ask for them or felt the need to know. In hindsight, probably a mistake, but we're past that point now. Also, the refurbished battery was $1500, other battery $160, tax and labor came out to $2150. I called the dealer and the cost of a new main battery was $2400, refurbished was $1700. Here's the silly part...both had the same warranty 3yr/36k mi.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Don't allow the warranty period to influence your judgment of the relative value of a reman vs. new traction battery.
    2. You won't need the warranty on a new traction battery but likely will need it if you buy a reman.

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    New Toyota HV Battery installed by a Toyota dealer gets you 3yrs/unlimited miles. When installed by anyone other than a Toyota dealer, the warranty is 1year/unlimited miles.

Do you honestly think a refurbished/rebuilt battery will out last a NEW battery? If yes, you have problems, and I can not help you.

Look at your situation objectively:
    1) You lack sufficient DIY skills to keep repairs/cost of ownership, well under control.
    2) You are out $2150, and still have a non-functioning car.
    3) Put the $1500 you are considering spending on a used transaxle towards the purchase of a new or used working car.
    4) Sell the current car as is. Maybe you will get $1000-$1500 which can go towards the replacement vehicle. Listing the non-working Prius in the marketplace section on PriusChat, will probably attract someone who has sufficient DIY skills and is looking for a decent fixer.
    5) Kenny Rogers said it best (The Gambler):
    You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    Know when to run​

Good luck. Whatever decision you make, may it work out for you.

18. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a parts car now, it is probably best to let it go. XT1585 ? The battery, trans, inverter are all tied on a High Voltage.

XT1585 ?