1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help needed: Booming Resonating Noise in Cabin at idle and low rpms

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by [email protected], Oct 13, 2014.

1. belbert@metrocast.net

[email protected] Junior Member

Good Morning all- I'm at my wit's end. I own a 2007 Prius Touring w/120kish miles. We are currently experiencing a huge booming resonance at idle and low RPMs. The noise isn't subtle, almost sounds like we're in a Huey with the doors open. Here's what I believe I know:

- No DTC's are bing thrown
    - ICE seems as smooth as ever
    - No apparent changes in fuel economy
    - Plugs were replaced 40k ago and coil ignitors are orginal--not runing rough or missing though
    - Visual inspection of exhaust shows no leaks or contact with body
    - Motor mounts pass the test I looked up [in drive/reverse, depress brake, watch unuual engine displacement]
    - Noise is not vehicle speed related, only engine speed coupled--probably between 1K and 1.8k rpm

I'm sure I'm leaving something out but aside from messing withteh coils or plugs I've loked at everthing I can think of. I haven;t gone to the dealer yet. Lot's of reading searching have only revealed CV issues. Any good ideas out there?

Cheers,
    Brian

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My idea is that you have a helper rev up the engine to force the noise to occur, while you inspect the engine compartment area. Look for something loose. Obviously, avoid the moving serpentine drive belt and the radiator fan area while you do this inspection.

Remove the air cleaner housing cover to see if that makes a difference. If it does then there may be a restriction in the air intake.

Turn on the air conditioner compressor to see if that makes a difference in the sound.

3. belbert@metrocast.net

Good idea--done that before. No need to rev, the noise is present at idle, however, we have forced the noise to grow by putting the car in gear and reving the engine with the hood open. The noise isn't heard outside of the car at all. The engine seems as smooth as it has ever been. A/C on or off--no change.

Keep the ideas coming....

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the a/c work correctly? Has it been hot lately? Is there plenty of gas in the a/c?

5. belbert@metrocast.net

Yes, the AC works like a champ.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was your visual inspection of the exhaust while the engine was running?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the exhaust is rusting apart internally??

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be nice if the area of the noise was narrowed down. Is it the inverter pump? Brake pump?

A HUGE booming noise? Sounds like a blown exhaust or cracked manifold. I'd be curious if the vehicle has been in a flood or been driven through water deeper than a small puddle. What sort of roads does the op drive along? Has he lent the car to a sibling who've just passed their test?

Without further info we're just guessing.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can't hear it on the outside, maybe something vibrating and setting up harmonic whatdoyoucallit?

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is probably NOT the answer to your problem. But I have to ask anyway.

Your windows aren't open or cracked open in any combination?

I just happen to know from experience that if you open 3-4 of the windows, it can create a sonic wind sucking environment that just about blows your eardrums out. You need the perfect storm of windows open and speed reached, but it can be bad if you happen to hit all the combinations perfectly.

I know this affect happens in all vehicles, but The Prius is especially toxic in this regard.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  11. belbert@metrocast.net

OK....all great questions.

- Exhaust was tested while the car was running. One person with hand over tailpipe and me under the car listening for exhaust leaks. I thought teh donut {i the prius has one} between the header and exhaust was bad. No apparent leaks anywhere.

- "Maybe the exhaust is rusting out internally"---maybe but there's no holes.

- So we live in New Hampshire, USA on a 1/2 mile dirt road--there's snow (not recently), potholes, rain, puddles but no flooded parts or deep water.

- The window reverb effect. All windows closed, or even open--it still happen. I own a 5-sp TDI that it's quiet easy to slightly open the rear windows and get a wonderful cabin resonance going. I'm familiar but this isn't the case.

-BTW, when this happened. It happened within 1 mile of the house on an asphalt road and just started out of the blue. No pops, grinds or dips in the road. There wasn't noise and now there is.

I changed plugs, if only to pull the coil packs and reseat them and there's no difference. Next I'm going to do a visual inspection on the harmonic balancer. I know what a good 350 Chevy balancer looks like but not a prius one....

More to follow...

12. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The sound you describe is almost always associated with an exhaust system fault, leak or rubbing or broken hanger.......OR with a broken motor mount (or transmission mount as the case may be).

Does the ICE run all the time.....versus shutting off when stopped like the newer models ??

alekska likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all pri shut off when stopped, if not warming up or charging, no?

14. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, so the question for the OP is:
    Does this noise stop when the gas engine shuts down ?
    If not, it may be a problem with the inverter.

15. belbert@metrocast.net

- It is an ICE only noise---stone quiet when ICE not running
    - Noise only at certain ICE RPM's-- idle to 1800ish rpms
    - I did inspect the dogbone/wishbone mount and it appears ok, likewise for the passenger side mount, couldn't really see the mount under teh inverter to tell anything
    - Exhaust-- no apparent leaks, hangars are all intact, and not rubbing in the body anywhere

Just cleaned the MAF and look at the engine drive pulley---couldn't really call it a balancer

I'm close to throwing in the towel.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you've checked everything, you're just not seeing it.

17. belbert@metrocast.net

I'm still leaning toward an engine mount or exhaust simply because the engine runs fine and is smooth as can be with a hand on it yet at the same time in the car it will will be booming.

How do I diagnose a broken or failed mount? What other symptoms are there? I've only seen 1 thread and I followed another posters troubleshooting method as I noted in my 1st post [open hood, car in Drive and/or reverse, use the accelerator holding the brake, listen for crunching/popping].

What else can I look for on the exhaust? Could I have a plugged Cat? The rear most part of the exhaust is new in the last 8 months--essentially cat-back.

alekska likes this.
  18. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Is it a cyclic sort of noise? Does it have a period that is affected by engine RPM, increasing and decreasing with engine speed? Is it random? I believe you have enough posts now to upload or link to an external storage service. How about an audio or video (with audio) example?

19. belbert@metrocast.net

It's cyclically in that it only occues when the ICE is running between idle and 1800ish rpm. It is not random, always occurs in that area of the power band. Lemme see if I can capture it.

20. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What else can I look for on the exhaust? Could I have a plugged Cat? The rear most part of the exhaust is new in the last 8 months--essentially cat-back.

You may have just overlooked some contact that is causing resonance from the exhaust system, suggest taking it back to the mechanics who did this and having them look over the exhaust system. I've had annoying resonance from an exhaust shield, on a different car, simply bending it back in place fixed the problem.