1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help needed: front parking sensors don't turn off and drain the battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zabadar, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Zabadar

Zabadar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear community,
    Thank you for reading this and maybe helping me!
    I have a 2007 Prius 90'000km with new 12V battery from last year.
    The problem I have is that the front parking sensors won't turn off when I park my car close to an object and shut the engine off. This fully drain my battery and I have to jump start the car every time I switch it on.
    The technicien from Toyota repair shop couldn't fix it and proposed to switch the front parking sensors off by unplugging the switch under the wheel. That didn't fix the problem at all since it didn't deactivate the front parking sensor but only deactivated the switch...
    So, do any of you encounter that problem or have an idea how I could fix it myself?

Thank you very very much!

Guillaume

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is this factory, dealer installed oem, or aftermarket?

3. Zabadar

Zabadar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for interest!
    The parking sensors are factory and the 12V Battery is from Toyota and dealer installed.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is this the system with automatic parking? I thought the sensors that only gave you warning sound were only dealer installed options (they are installed when car is new so many peoples think that they are from factory). I had that installation manual for those sensors (I did get it from Toyota web site). But now I can’t find it anymore.

5. Zabadar

Zabadar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. It is not automatic parking, only beeping is I get close to an object. I bought the car second hand so I'm not sure. There are tiny (I think 4) sensors on the bumper which looks very factory as I don't know how that could be later installed. The car is pretty premium with JBL speakers inside and big console screen.
    Thank you a lot for trying to help, I really appreciate!

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    JBL system comes with all except base model. Screen comes with all models. I’m pretty sure that is the dealer installed system. https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BE7E67433-C9D9-A209-BCDE-F17A6AFDC9D9%7D/TPA800%20LHD%20PZ464-00425-00%20AIM%20000%20307-1.pdf here is the installation manual. It can be used to find the fault.

EDIT: Check that you really have that system. If it is then check that power is really connected to pin7 of connector IF1. If it is then check that it has at least +12V when ready and 0v when shut down. If not, just report back what you did found.

Just unplugging that wire (or fuse from it) will disable the system if that’s all you want to do (although fixing it shouldn’t be much more complicated and probably won’t really cost you anything).

#6 valde3, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Zabadar likes this.
  7. Zabadar

Zabadar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouahhh... I'm very impressed with your knowledge!
    That level of details goes above my ability myself to deal with my car but I will inform my Toyota dealer with these infos as you appear to be much more capable than he is!
    Thanks a lot for your help, I will post an update when I'll bring the car to the dealer.
    Best regards and thank you again!

8. Zabadar

Zabadar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear Valde3,
    Sorry to post so late but better late than never...
    The dealer could only disconnect the whole system and had to replace a new battery (that he did for free considering my battery was only 1 and a half year but could hold any charge). I suspect that the behavior of the electronic suffered from the chronic low battery level. Now I'm fine with the new battery and will see in the future...

Best regards!