1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP needed in making a decision on a used 2008 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aragon, May 21, 2012.

1. aragon

aragon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love the discussion here and learn a lot.

I am in the market for a used prius and came across a 2009 prius on craigslist, which I test drove. I havent owned a prius before, but I loved the car overall. It is loaded with leather, nav, bluetooth etc. (I think it is with package #6). KBB costs it at about 19k.

I have three questions:
    * The average mileage that this seller has gotten in 36 mpg, which was a huge surprise to me! Granted this is in SFO with hills, etc. but this seems to be a huge red flag to me. Any thoughts on whether this is a systemic issue with the vehicle vs just bad driving?
    * The car has about 45k miles, which is on the lower side. However other cars with much higher miles (70k to 110k) go for around 12 to 14k, and am curious why the price difference is so high with higher miles
    * There was a clapping sound when I braked hard, and slight rattling, should I be worried (is this indicative of a bigger problem)?

Thanks in advance for all the insights and tips.

2. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3 answers:

1. Reset the milage indicator on the MFD - take it for a 25-30 mile test drive on the 101 south. Be gentle on the accelerator. See what the mileage is for yourself. I think that anything over 40 is acceptable on a flat drive at 65mph or under. Granted 40 is a bit low but sinple things like changing the air filters, oil , cleaning the air mass flow sensor/ throttle body or increasing the tire pressure to the low 40s can all raise mileage substantially so 40 mph is a decent starting point. Perhaps the original owner has not done any of these things?

2. I got my '07 with 40K on it for 12K but it was a base model. I think you should talk him down to 17K at least. The price difference is because at 100K you are looking at a vafiety of needed maintenance such as auto trans fluid change, transaxle fluid change, spark plug change, brake pads and the main battery is at higher risk of failure. You're only covered by warrenty to 150K on the main battery in california I believe . If the car was ever sold outside CA then I think that drops to 100K. With that said there is a low risk of having a main battery failure at 100K but all the other maintenance has to be done.

3. When you brake hard traction control likely engages and if you are on a somewhat slippery surface (even slick paved roads) one of the tires may spin a bit. As long as you stop correctly a small "clapping sound " may not be a problem - but f in doubt have the toyota dealer check it out first - it won't cost much at all.

3. alex s

alex s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hills are a killer of mpg. When I fill up my '08 and then drive home, the hills make it hover from about 37-41 mpg on the mfd. But then when I've got some more miles on a tank the average shoots up to the usual 47-48.

I'd do a search here and familiarize yourself with the 12v battery check process through the mfd, it may be coming time to replace it.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a very nice Prius. He probably has a lead foot and is always in a hurry? Still good mpg. Learn how to drive your Prius and you will be 50+. H

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) Not surprised, that is typical mileage for SF. I can easily get my average down to 40 when driving around SF in my Gen III.

2) Make sure it is a clean title and has had NO prior paintwork. A salvaged title car can explain a low price, as can a clean title car with a history of body shop visits.

3) Have Luscious Garage do a pre-purchase inspection. They are one of the best hybrid shops in the nation. But a "bark" type sound can be indicative of a brake actuator problem, which is expensive. Or, it can simply be the tires skidding when you come to a hard stop.

6. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    KBB prices are heavily based on mileage. My 2005 with 10K miles was worth more than a 2007 (same trim level) with 70K miles.

the brake noise sounds like you engaged the anti-lock brakes, they will make all kinds of unusual noises.

I don't think 45K is on the low side for a 2009, thinking that is about average, it's 15K per year.

As has already been said, just make sure it hasn't had a bad wreck. Carfax is not always 100 % accurate. I've seen bad wreck jobs not show up on the carfax.

the loaded trim level includes HID headlights, make sure they are working because it's $150 per bulb.

confirm hills and cooler/colder weather will drive down the mileage, also "short tripping" will do the same.