1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Needed! Install HID for Gen 2 Prius in Chicago area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AllenZ, Dec 18, 2011.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the HID kit on ebay. I wonder are there any owners here installed HID himself and willing to spend some time on mine? Sure I am willing to pay for the job.

Please post your ideas and/or PM me.
    BTW, I am in zip 60093

Allen

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To partially repost what I posted a couple weeks ago in a different thread:

You have halogen reflectors. These reflectors take the minimal light output from the halogen bulb and spread it the best they can infront of you as well as up above. Because the US uses reflective road signage, some light must go off into the weeds and above the road to illuminate signs. Not so in the EU and why their headlight beam patterns are so different. It takes a certain amount of light to make the sign glow, and the US DOT has given a requirement for how much light must make it up there to be legal. Now this light is not picking signs and only illuminating signs, it is blasting the whole upper vision with light. So obviously there is a maximum limit too, or else you will be blinded with glare by everyone else on the road.

With a halogen reflector, a certain amount goes up, lets say X%. Now you are wanting to stick in HID lighting. The lumens for your same wattage is waaaaaaaaaay higher. Usually HID systems run at 35W (standard) and produce 3-5 times more light depending on ballast, bulb, projector, and lens quality/age/design.

So your reflector that is shooting X% of the light skywards, is still shooting X% of the light skywards. Only now X% is much much more (3-5 times more) than before because the absolute value is higher.

If we say X is 10 for simplicity, and with halogen you have some magic unit-less figure of 50 "lights", 5 "lights" goes up into peoples' eyes and the road signs. Now you have 150-250 lights with HID. 15-25 lights go into people's eyes and road signs. This is illegal, produces a bunch of glare, and is annoying to all drivers.

If you want HID lighting there are 2.5 options.

Option #1, the cheap route: Buy some halogen projector ebay replacement headlight housings. These will come with halogen projectors that you can fit HID kit lighting into. You will still blind people but not nearly as badly. The halogen squirrel finder will be too large, but directional instead of omnidirectional-ish as the halogen reflectors are.

Option #1B, the cheap route with a modification: Same as #1 except you bake the lights to get to the projector. Open the bowl and tape over using metal tape (the stuff you use on duct work and the one thing duct tape is not good for) the squirrel finder until it is a narrower slot. Thus reducing its output and making it an acceptable solution for a limited budget.

Both Option #1 and #1B will get you something adequate that the highschoolers will like. The output beam will be crap, there will be hotspots galore, and you will bubble the cheap ebay projector bowl chrome in a year or two making it even worse.

Option #2, the only real option: Do a retrofit. Buy projectors meant for HIDs from a salvaged vehicle and affix them to your halogen reflector headlights.

Option #2 gives you infinite possibilities. If you do a crappy job or pick a crappy projector like the E55 then you might as well have gone with #1B. But if you pick something like the FX projectors (or FX-R, replicas) with Acura TSX​ lenses it will be fantastic.

Personally, I am a Denso/Koito fan. I have a pair of Lexus RX350 AFS projectors with Acura TSX-R (replicas) lenses in them with a 2mm lens spacing offset. This gives me the awesome hot-spot free projection capabilities of the Lexus RX 3xx AFS series and an almost impossible even white tone on the ground that immediately fuzzes into a 1-2 inch thick band of deep blue/purple from a distance, then a sharp cutoff above that. HID heaven essentially.

Dylan Doxey and F8L like this.