1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help needed - Strange error message

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by geamer, Jan 28, 2014.

1. geamer

geamer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While driving my 2005 prius I receive a message that says "Caution. Please press P to engage Park. The batteries will not be charged if the transaxle is in Neutral N". The red triangle/exclamation mark comes on, the interior lights come on, the door ajar light comes on, and a beeping noise from hell comes on.

I've seen in other discussions that this can happen when driving with a door not completely shut, but I've tried opening and slamming all 5 doors, with no changes. The problem was initially intermittent, seemingly more often when I went over a bump (which led me to checking the hatchback was fully closed, multiple times), but is now more or less constant, in an on-off-blink-on-off cycle of doom.

Anything else this could indicate? Is it possible a latch on one of my doors or the sensor is frozen (its been between -20 and -40 almost constantly for 6 weeks and I park outside)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    photo.JPG

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You had your door open while the car was in either Reverse or Drive. I believe it should be only the driver's door affected. Could be a door sensor too

3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does the 12 volt battery need to be replaced?

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This could be a faulty or frozen tailgate switch. The switch is actually in the latch mechanism where the internal release lever is at the center bottom of the tailgate opening. Water can get in there when the tailgate is open, and in your conditions freeze holding the contacts shut or open. Try a hair drier on the mechanism for ten to fifteen minutes to unfreeze and dry out. This will cost nothing but time.
    You could while your there warm up the area round the other door switches.

John (Britprius)

HaroldW likes this.
  5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe the rear hatch needs adjusting. Do you notice any slack or rattle back there. Probably not , but worth a look. I had a similar problem with my CRV Honda. H