1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help needed with my website HTML

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jkash, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need some help from you real web designers out there. I am having trouble having the links at the top of my Prius site staying the color I want them to. Even more strange, is that my site looks different on all three browsers I have checked it on. (Safari, IE, Firefox) Any help would be appreciated.

I am using Dreamweaver.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I compared your html with a couple of pages on my site. One difference I see could be part of your problem. On the line 4 of your html code is the meta tag:

my site has use the tag:

You might try this character set to see if it makes any difference in the presentation of your pages.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked at several websites and if charset was defined it was always iso-8859-1

Different browsers will show things differently and are tolerant (or intolerant) of different coding errors. Additionally, things like javascript are sometimes dicey in how they are handled.

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for replying Don and Bruce. I am kind of at a loss. Bruce you are correct about the way the browsers handle code. I also checked the site on my wife's pc using IE and it looks totally different than on my Mac using IE.

I'll probably keep looking for answers, but may have to settle for the site looking different on each browser.

Jeff

5. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know what you want the links to look like (ie what color) but the ones in the table are hardcoded to the same value as the default unvisited link. I think that is why they don't change to the visited color when you return.

I personally do not like the mess created by page generators, especially not the junk put out by Word or WordPro when you convert the doc to HTML.

One thing you'll notice on your page is that you use a total of 2 font face sets ("Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" and "Times New Roman, Times, serif"). For those not in the know, it is a list of fonts to use in order as a given client may not have the specified font. Although with these, they'll be there. The first set is used only in the table, the other set in every other link on the page. In fact: <font size="3" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"> shows up all over the place. Probably 30% of your page is unnecessary redundant tags. Does Dreamweaver support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)? If it thinks it REALLY needs to specify all this information for EVERY link, at least the source will be a lot smaller and easier to read. At the very least, the BODY could contain the defaults and be over-ridden only when necessary within the tags enclosed.

Look at this page: http://www.geocities.com/cvsc_us/CVO/cvo_2...004_results.htm You'll find these lines:
    <style type="text/css" media="all">
    @import "../cvsc.css";
    </style>
    The style sheet is here: http://www.geocities.com/cvsc_us/cvsc.css

You wouldn't care to look at the junk Word put out to create the same thing. EVERY single tag had font and size specified and the file was HUGE.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To be as universally compatible as possible, eliminate the tags entirely. Not specifying anything will allow the browser to default to it's own settings instead... which almost always work.

With the exception of the home & navigation, my website is totally void of page settings... like charset.

7. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the info Bruce. I don't understand a good amount of it though. Dreamweaver does support CSS but I have no idea how to create a website using it.

The funny thing about what you said is that the table links don't change. I don't want them to, but on the browsers I have access to they are changing. That's what I was trying to fix.

As for the fonts, I can change the fonts to be only Times New Roman and Arial. Would that help clean up the html?

Jeff

8. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why? The purpose of the color change is to let people know they have already seen that page. There is a vlink attribute (visited link) in the Body tag, you could specify that as the same color as the others. Of course then all the later links would stay the same as well. If you REALLY want to get fancy, you could create images of the text you want to stay static, set the background for the table cell to that image and have no text in the Anchor (<A>) tag. But I wouldn't :)

The problem with browsers is they don't adhere to the standards. Some, like MS and Netscape had wars, adding in new tags that weren't in the spec and weren't supported by the other. Then they tried to get people to use the tags, making the pages useful only in their browser.

Only slightly, the source would still specify it on every GD line.
    I agree with John. Generally, the less junk you put in, the more likely the page will work on all browsers and look similar.

9. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I pulled up your site on my PC using Opera, IE, and Firefox; all 3 load with the same general appearance. The "followed link" color behavior seems to be related to how each browser handles caching and page refresh. Opera and IE use the followed link color as expected immediately after following the link and returning to the page while Firefox required a page refresh to show the followed link color. I also notice that each of the links at the top point to a tag on the same page as opposed to another site or different page within yours. This may explain why that table of links sometimes behaves a little differently.

I can't speak to behavior on a Mac but I might attribute to a higher degree of "Independent Spirit" for the Mac. :lol:

10. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John. As long as it looks ok to you experts, I guess I'll just go with it the way it is. It just bugs me that it looks different on every browser I have looked at it on.

The really strange thing, is that my other site, the one I use for school, I have the links in the table that do not change color on any browser that I know of. It was created in FrontPage and exported into Dreamweaver.

Very weird.

Jeff

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i suppose not using dreamweaver at all is not a suggestion?

i used notepad for my website. and its basic html. with very little CSS, although i have taken most of that out. i put a few pages in just to see if i could do it.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I started all my coding in Notepad oh so many years ago. Then found FrontPage and used that for a while. Finally I got my hands on a copy of Dreamweaver MX and will tell you that once I started using it, not using it was no longer an option.

Unfortunately, here at work for internal page design I have to use FrontPage. After fighting with it for a while, I've found the easiest thing for me to do is build the pages at home, throw them on a jump drive, and import them into FP so it looks like I adhered to corporate policy.

My apologies to the M$ fans of the site.

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tony, I went to your site to see what you had produced with DreamWeaver and found that I can't get to the pages linked from the sidebar. This is with Mozilla. It works with IE. Looking at the source, I *think* it is because the <A> tags are outside the <TD> </TD> tags. <A> is not a legal attribute for <TABLE> or <TR> but is for <TD>. If so, this is another example of how tolerant different browsers are with coding errors. The page comes up with a status message of "Done but with errors on page" in IE.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No apology necessary. The earlier versions of Frontpage were just plain nasty.

But with the 2002 upgrade, it finally works pretty slick.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, Bruce, I am actually aware of those issues with the page. There are others, but I'm not going to point them out. Note that I didn't jump in when John asked the "experts" to take a look at his page. :)

Originally I tested in Opera, Mozilla, IE, and Netscape. I scoured the net looking for the fixes to make things work in every browser at every resolution setting and color palette. Then, late one night, I heard a voice. It said, "screw this."

In the end, it came down to debugging time versus dealing with it. Since the page went up while I was interviewing for jobs, it was more important that it loads for my target audience. I figured that most people I would be interviewing with would be upper management using IE, probably 5.5 and higher; not techie enough to use the others. I chose my target audience and shot for them. Turns out that I got my current position based on the site; so it's served its purpose and I'm happy.

These days, I don't have time to mess with it and use it mostly has a holding location for things to share with others: cat pictures, furniture pictures, prius pictures, etc.

I'll let you pros figure out how to make everything work every time. And when you're done, I'll see if I can't steal some code. [oh man, that's going to tick someone off!] :-D

John Kash, I use exclusively IE now and think your site looks good. I go there from time to time to read your articles. I'm too interested in reading all the info you have to even bother worrying whether links have changed color or not.

[edit]
    Bruce, it occured to me that I didn't thank you for looking at my code and giving me a suggestion on how to improve it. Sorry for he oversight and thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do with it and PM when I'm ready for you to look at it again.
    [/edit]

16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good boy! :)
    Won't tick me off, if it weren't for other people's sites, we'd all have a hell of a time figuring things out!
    Heck I only tried to figure out the non working links because I'm A-R about fixing broken stuff. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be broken. Then it is called 'polishing' :)