1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, oil change and tire rotation - now she isn't the same!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pmanza, May 19, 2008.

1. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi all, I really need some advice. Got my oil changed and tires rotated a week and a half ago, I provided the oil 5w-30 Mobil One. Looks like they used it, I got hte empty bottles back, and 1/2 qt left in one. But, ever since I got the car back, she just doesn't "feel" right. The engine feels like it is straining, and when I brake when it gets down tot he friction brake, the pad has a vibration in it, that feels like there is somthing rubbing between the pad and rotor. And to top it all off, my gas mileage has dropped by 10 mpg!!! I am actually reading 39 mpg on my trip meter right now after 100 mi ont his tank of gas, I have NEVER seen numbers like that, not even when the car was new.

What could they possibly have done wrong, and how can I go in with a straight face and say "my car doesn't FEEL right" and not get laughed at? How do I convince them something is different?

Help please
    Fernsmom:eek:

2. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First, check to make sure all of your lug nuts are properly tightened. Also, check the oil level on the dipstick to make sure your car wasn't over-filled. To me it sounds like your lugs are loose, if this is the case you need to tighten them IMMEDIATELY! If they are loose you are in danger of losing a wheel while driving. Needless to say, this would pose a safety hazard.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Always check the oil level yourself before driving away from any oil change. Doing that can catch some grievous errors before they cause expensive or inconvenient harm. In this case go check it to see whether they overfilled the oil (I agree, getting a half-bottle back sounds like they did not, but it's easy to confirm).

If you usually inflate your tires above Toyota's recommended 35 PSI, check them also. Service techs often default to the recommended pressure, but sometimes they get it wrong.

It may be that one or more wheels are out of alignment which can cause asymmetrical wear on those tires. If so after they are rotated they can feel different. You can look and might notice whether the wear looks different on the inner and outer edges of the tread of each tire, or ask a dealer or tire shop to check the alignment of all wheels.

[Yow! Yes, what blazer wrote about lug nuts! Something that icky didn't occur to me.]

4. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    who did the service?

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is it possible the service tech parked the car with the parking brake engaged?

6. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi all
    My local toyota dealer did the work, the parking brake was my first thought, even though the light wasn't on, I engaged and disengaged it just to be sure. I called and made an appt for tomorrow, mentioned the lug nut idea, and the service guy said loose tires wouldn't affect gas mileage??? He did agree that they should look at it though.
    Thanks
    Fernsmom

7. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh and I did check oil level, right on the line, then my hubby said I should have checked it while the car was hot, not cold. Is that right?
    Peggy

8. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Due to the oil's expansion when hot, the oil level may read a bit higher when the ICE is warm. I would bet there's not much of a difference though.

... Brad

9. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The manual says to check it when the engine is warm.

10. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update, my car is in the shop, we will see what they say. Of course the brakes feel perfectly normal this am, and gas mileage is slowly creeping back up (now at 41 instead of 38). I still feel like the engine is straining though so....
    Fernsmom:(

11. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did it get real hot recently and you are using the AC more? Could be coincidence. AC will affect your mpg especially for city driving, runs off your traction battery so you may have more engine input for acceleration. Probably not 10 mpg less though. Also the oil change places always lower my tire pressure even if I tell them not to. I only have 40/38. I change my own oil if the garage floor isn't freezing. Like others said, if you need an allignment and you rotate tires, that could cause even lower mpg too. I think the dealer always provides one free alignment if you request it.

12. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you get an update from Fern's doc, please post it. I hope they find the problem and get her up and running soon.

13. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi all, Fern is back from the doc and they said there is nothing wrong with her. PUt her on Scantool and nothing showed up, test drove her and said they got 48 mpg. When I got in the car, I saw that they had completely turned off the climate control, no fan going even!!! I turned it back on and it was back down to 42 mpg by the time I got back to work. Go figure. But maybe it was coincidence, it was over a hundred this weekend, and my while my drives weren't short, they weren't as long as my normal commute either. But I sure didn't see that kind of gas mileage last fall with hundred degree temps and ac running. Guess I will just keep an eye on it, and not be panicky. Love my car, just don't want anything to go wrong.

Thanks for all the responses and advice, I appreciate it. Maybe I need to pony up for the window tint I have been wanting!
    Fernsmom:cool:

14. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm glad to here Fern checks out OK with the docs. Perhaps it is just a bit of anxious parenting on your part.

It could be that you've forgotten the effects of A/C, or that you've left the fan on too high, but I think a bigger culprit is the time and length of your drives. I have a very short commute, and it is a killer in the winter and if I use A/C. I usually avoid heat and A/C by keeping the car in the garage and just living with 10 minutes of non-perfect climate in the car. Even if I turned on heat or A/C, it wouldn't really be comfy for almost 10 minutes anyway!