1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help on fix hybrid battery cable orange

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by luisneto, Feb 6, 2024.

1. luisneto

luisneto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i´m fixing the orange cables that go to the service plug socket the black one.
    Can someone explain how to get out the terminals that are on the service plug socket so i can change the corrosion cable? some trick to get them out of the black socket where service plug enter.

Thank´s

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think this cable assembly is like $20 from Toyota. It has the safety interlock socket and the 2 orange cables.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another option is to just dip the ends of the cables into muriatic acid. It's available in small bottles and is used to etch concrete for painting/epoxy coating. It immediately strips corrosion and plating from copper but leaves the copper alone. Makes it look like new...just no coating.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But if you really want to pull the cables out, all you have to do is release each one's latch and give a little tug on the cable. It will slide right out.

Look into the socket, you will see 4 slits. The 2 inner slits are where the male plug terminals insert. The outer slots contain the latch. Look closely and you'll see a very small gap between the metal and the black plastic latch. Insert a very small flat screwdriver into that little gap and push the black plastic away from the metal. At the same time, pull on the cable. POP goes the weasel, and the cable is now in your hand.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On Amazon you can find a set of cable insertion tools that remove all of those type of pins from almost all types of plugs in automobileia. I own a set they were $14 they're in a little black zipper pouch and they have every tool practically known to man to take the pins out of various amp plugs and all of their similarities all of them You could spend an hour looking through the stupid key rings of these things trying to find the one you want but it's there The little screwdriver does work well on some of these on amp connectors and things like that you need a round barrel etc.