1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help on installing body moldings.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Capt132, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Capt132

Capt132 New Member

I have my Pepboys after mkt. molding roll for my Prius. I knew there was posts about how to install it straight, but I don't know where to find the info. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

2. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Capt132 @ Jun 20 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]274484[/snapback]</div>

I measured off the ground and used a roll of blue painter's tape. I put a line of tape from the front to the back til' it looked good visually and mounted the moldings right under the tape line. After moldings were on, I peeled the blue tape off. I was a snap. I don't remeber what measurements I used for the height. You'll figure it out.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not familiar with the Pep Boys model, but I'll tell what I did to mount those I bought from www.metrotpn.com. They're not a "roll" like you describe, but are rigid, so I don't know how much this helps you.

Can't remember where I read this to give credit where it's due, but on one of the forums someone suggested blue painter's tape like Mike used and small plain magnets. Using the vertical measurements recommended by the instructions included with the mouldings (which have you measure from the bottom of the door), I applied the tape down the side of the car on both doors, like Mike did. One small difference between my techniqe and Mike's: I applied the tape expecting to mount the mouldings at the top edge of the tape rather than at the bottom. I eyeballed the tape on a horizontal plane from behind the car to make sure it was straight, adjusting as needed to get it so. For one door at a time, I stuck four square-shaped magnets to the door, on the tape (hence, the reason for placing the tape below the intended mounting location -- the tape keeps the magnets from scratching), spaced equally and with the top edges even with the top edge of the tape. I prepped the door surface with the chemical in the dispensers included with the mouldings, per the instructions. I set the moulding piece on the top edge of the magnets (they hold it in line) and double-checked the alignment. With one hand and the magnets together holding the moulding in position, I carefully began removing the backing to the adhesive strip and pressing the strip against the car, until the entire moulding piece was attached. One small mistake: For the first one I pulled the adhesive backing at a right angle to the moulding, and it tore off. Part of the moulding was already stuck to the car and it was awkward trying to get behind it to grab the edge of the backing to start pulling it off again. I learned after that to pull as close to horizontal as possible.

I might add that I'm not very mechanically inclined, and approached the project with some trepidation. But I was too much of a tightwad to pay someone else (and I had an alimony and child support payment due!), so I tackled it myself. I am totally pleased with the results. Just be aware that you have only one chance to get it right.

Jim