1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Original owner Prius 1 goofed! Reversed cables on booster PAC charge jump to my Prius!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sandy Meyers, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Help! Original owner 2002 Toyota Prius 1 I really goofed! Reversed cables on booster PAC charge jump to my Prius!

I've used a booster PAC several times to jump my Prius, and yesterday I inadvertently connected the cables the wrong way! It seems I may have blown a fuse? I'm not sure what part number to replace. I can't seem to pry out the OEM fuse. I believe it's the 100 amp blue fuse, photo depicted below, in upper left hand corner?

I did turn on the ignition since I appeared to have some electronics showing which were different, but I was hopeful it was just a weak battery! Might I have done more damage than just a fuse? What can I expect on this car? I am original owner with 93,000 miles, and it's in great shape. I'm on a very modest income and am a DIY'er with some auto knowledge, just had a lapse of memory yesterday and screwed up!

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

#1 Sandy Meyers, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. MDNHW11

MDNHW11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

Thank you, but what does "bolt-in" mean? I'm having some difficulty extracting the blue fuse, it seems like it's in there pretty tight. any suggestions.

4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

Okay, I see what bolt-in means. On the 2002, is there a way I can get access to that, or is that something a repair shop is going to have to fix for me? Thanks.

5. MDNHW11

MDNHW11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian in Tucson likes this.
  6. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It appears the 100A fuse is blown, from the reverse polarity. I am unable to access junction box and remove, it's too difficult.

When I left the car for a time, after the car door was opened and closed, ignition turned on and off, battery cables were reconnected, and I re-opened the car door, the car horn set itself off and would not stop, until I disconnected the battery. Now I have nothing, not even with a recharged booster pac connected correctly. What do you make of this? Is it simply the 100 amp, or is likely I also fried the inverter? Why is the car horn still working with a dead battery and blown 100 amp fuse?

None of the authorized Toyota repair places in my area will install a used/salvaged inverter if it's fried. Trying to locate an independent Prius repair in Southern California in Long Beach area. I'd like to get my car towed to a place that can potentially make this repair, as I understand I'm looking at about $4,000 for a new inverter.

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestons. I love my Prius, original owner, and want to get it fixed ASAP.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sandy, probably you should wait on that inverter. One step at a time. You can do it--loosen that fuse and relay box. You may need to get the correct tools--1/4" drive sockets and ratchet (Harbor Freight has a really nice set) a wobble extension (HF, again,) & one of those adapters that looks like a set of u-joints. From what I've read on replacing that fusible link on gen 2's, it a chore, but you've gotta do it and change out 3 or so of the fuses, too, in order to see what other damage you did.

I work on my own vehicles, because if I couldn't I wouldn't be able to drive. The Prius is a whole new learning curve. But learning it expands your knowledge base and your confidence base. YOU CAN DO IT!:LOL:

I think I know where there a couple of inverters in a local junk yard. But yours shouldn't be bad, that's what the blown fuses and fusible link protected. It looks to me like replacing the inverter is DIY friendly, too.

8. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Brian, thanks so much for your encouragement! I am definitely a DIY'er when I can and an optimist! Unfortunately I've got a banged-up shoulder right now and have limited mobility so can't even attempt the fuse fix. Getting that box out is more than I can handle.

You're right, start with small things first. I do have lead on inverter on eBay IF I need it, and they say they will essentially warranty it to work. My concern is getting the car into a shop and having unscrupulous repair guy tell me I need an inverter when I really don't. As a single woman we get taken advantaged so often! And it doesn't make sense having car towed to different places around town.

I'm looking for someone who can do the fuse fix for me here at my home. There was a gentleman here who said he had diagnostic tool and could read codes that might be helpful before taking to an independent shop. What do you think?

Many thanks!

9. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's worth a try. Maybe you can find someone who would be willing to be your arms and hands to get the box loose and change out that fusible link.

I sort of feel your pain. I had a broken collarbone and a broken rib in my back. 9 mos later, it's healed but still aches pretty bad sometimes. I assume in LA, like here in Tucson, you can find a Mexican mechanic who will do the job. I've seen ads on Craigslist and they usually work pretty reasonably. Keep an eye on them, act like you know your sh**, and make sure they do only the work you tell them to. My nephew in Reno could do it, but that's a hike from LA.

10. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

Hi Brian,
    That's a great idea. I've got a friend who knows cars but he's reluctant to touch anything that's metric! Kind of a scaredy cat. Geez!

I have these instructions 100 Amp Fuse Replacement | PriusChat I found here on Prius chat and it seems pretty normal if you understand all the terminology. I'd give it a go with someone who understands this stuff.
    I put a charger on the auxillary battery this morning to get it charged up.

What kind of tool might I get at Harbor Freight to check the fuses? I would simply pull out the fuses, and test each one individually I'm assuming...

By the way, do you know what is the aquarium cover is?

I'm feeling a little better today with your guidance, so thank you.

11. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would assume it's the top of the converter.

You don't need anything to test the fuses. Pull them out, look at them, if the squigly wire has a gap it's blown.

A multimeter is one of those must have tools, imho.

#11 Brian in Tucson, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, image won't post

13. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    EverStart-26R-3-battery-Prius.jpg prius-100-amp-fuse.JPG EverStart-26R-3-battery-Prius.jpg EverStart-26R-3-battery-Prius.jpg prius-100-amp-fuse.JPG Eric, thank you so much for the reply. I've searched for some local hybrid mechanics on Craigslist and tried to make contact. Waiting for reply. May be tough during the holiday season, but will see what happens.

I tried charging the 12 volt battery for about 8 hours and no such luck. It still remains weak, the same that it was 8 hours ago, so I'm guessing it's fried given the reverse polarity. There was a minor spark and a bit of sizzle when I connected the clamps. Thankfully, it did not blow up in my face! I'll buy a new battery. I've been using the EverStart 26R-3 from Walmart (photo below) as a replacement battery for the OEM on the 2002 Prius which is suitable size. This will be my second replacement) battery. I only drive about 3,000 miles a year so the car sits much, thus the battery tends to die after non-use. That's why I invested in a Booster Pac! The original battery OEM lasted a good long 12+ years up to about 90,000 miles and survived desert heat up to about 115 degrees in Southern California for 10+ years when I lived in Palm Springs area.

FYI, I was able to acquire a 100 amp fuse at a local discount auto repair shop for $2.99. Also saw them on the internet for about $5. Apparently there are two styles of the 100 amp fuse, and the tech guy at the parts shop determined the appropriate fuse for the 2002 Prius based on my photos of the relay box above. It's an aftermarket 100 amp fuse Bussmann BP/FLM-100-RP bolt-in cartridge fuse. I can only imagine what an OEM dealer item might charge...

I do have a multimeter so will be able to use that to check fuses, so thanks for the info!

Now I'm thinking of getting a diagnostic tool to read codes for the current issue and for future use. Seems like I should probably invest in one to read for codes. Any suggestions on a particular model?

Again, thanks for your help!

#13 Sandy Meyers, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a BAFX products 34t5 bluetooth dongle from Amazon. Inexpensive and works well. Then download the Torque app, $4.99 and install in your smart phone. Then you can realtime monitor your car, check for codes, and clear codes.

When you replace your battery, get a Battery Tender for when you aren't using the Prius--gently keeps the battery charged so you won't have to use that booster thing. I use them on my motorcycles

#14 Brian in Tucson, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  15. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    12/26/16 update!

Good news!

I was able to get my Prius repaired with help of a local hobby mechanic who replaced the 100-amp fuse utilizing instructions above. Removing the fuse/relay box is tricky and a real PITA but is doable if you are patient and persistent. Thankfully, the OEM inverter was not damaged. There were a few blown smaller mini fuses. I picked up an assortment pack of mini fuses (photo below) and tested these with a multimeter for resistance as well. The 12-volt battery was replaced with a new 26R-3 12- volt battery from Walmart. I have been using this type of battery as a replacement for the OEM for 2002 model. It accommodates space with removal of the stabilizer. About $66 at Walmart with 1-yr warranty. Also available with 5-year in EverStart if you can find one.

After the 100-amp fuse and auxiliary battery were replaced, the car was returned to READY and it started right up! When the shifter was engaged to Reverse mode to back up, the Red Triangle appeared momentarily, but disappeared after returning to the Park position. The car did not need to be restarted to clear Red Triangle. I waited for the gas system to cycle to the electric motor to engage while parked, and everything performed normally. After shutting off and restarting the car a few times, I drove around the block and the car is performing just fine!

I am so grateful to the Prius Gods that no more damage was done given the reverse polarity mishap! Just FYI I was able to locate salvage inverters for 2002 models for about $300 on eBay with warranty as of December 2016.

I love my Prius! It's a fantastic car and has given me great service! As an early adopter, original owner, I would buy this car again!

Thank you to everyone who helped me here, you made all the difference in getting my car repaired and I am very grateful!

If anyone in Southern California, (Long Beach area) is in need of minor mechanical work on a Prius that does not require extensive hybrid knowledge or tools, I have a very good reliable hobby mechanic who may be able to help you with your issues! Please contact me and I will share his information.

Happy Motoring Prius Lovers!

Attached Files:

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

17. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy, happy. Joy, joy. Congrats, Sandy!

Don't know if anyone cares, but when I go shopping at the local pull it yerseff yard, I "shop" for those little fuses. Nuts, screws, and little bolts, too. I have two Gen 1 prius's that are pretty much mine to pick from and Toyotas are full of really high quality small parts. My favorite jy has never charged me for the little bits.

18. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    The best story, and great outcome !
    I think the best advice I saw here was for you to get a Battery Tender ( brand) that you can attach, and trickle charge your 12V battery. You use your car so infrequently, that the battery just sloooooooowly drains. Thus ruins 12v batteries sloooowly. The booster pac starts your car, but doesn't bring the charge up in the 12v to 100%. The battery tender keeps the battery at 100%, and you will never need that Booster pac, and.......the battery will last you for 10 years. Lead batteries like to be at 100%.
    Your story I read above started when your mileage dropped, and the car couldn't run enough to keep the lied acid battery at full charge.
    Hope you get a Battery Tender.

19. Jim0265

Jim0265 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second the Battery Tender. I used one for years with my motorcycles. Living in the north, the bike was parked about 6 months out of the year. I just hooked up the battery tender and it conditioned the battery and kept it ready to go in the spring. I would get many years out of motorcycle batteries that way. A must have for any vehicle that sits for long periods of time.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y)!

Great advice ;).

Mendel Leisk likes this.