1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Outside temp sensor and dual tone horn wires are disconnected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by katiekins, Apr 23, 2012.

1. katiekins

katiekins New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So....I drove into a snow bank (oops). I ended up cracking my front bumper cover. I didn't have the funds to fix it at the time, and since it was only just cracked, I just left it. Well, a couple of months went by and almost the whole bottom part of the front bumper cover came off. At this time my outside temperature sensor stopped working, and also my horn. the temp sensor shows "--". My car savoy friend and I were taking a look at it tonight. We found where the sensor is located and we found what we think are the wires that had broken off of the sensor. The only problem is, is that there are four wires (red, white, black x 2) and pretty sure that the sensor only takes two. Does anyone know where we can find an electrical diagram for the prius, or does anyone just know which two wires should go into the sensor, if so, is it possible to just re-hookup the wires or do I need to buy a whole new sensor? For the horn, I think the correct wire is on the passenger side and it's just a single black wire? Not sure about this either. Please help!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can obtain the electrical wiring diagram at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking at the wiring diagrams, there are actually two horns, high and low, which is news to me. They are powered from +12V by the black wires, matters not which is which. The horns are bolted to the chassis which supplies the common connection to the minus voltage.

The diagram shows the ambient temp sensor connected to brown and white wires, which differs from yours. Not sure about that, but the sensor is just a thermistor, no polarity. You should see a resistance of a couple of thousand ohms, depending on temperature, if there is indeed a sensor on the other end of the wires. The sensor is located in the center, in front of the A/C condenser.