1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! P0A90/239 and P341 = $7800 Dealer quote for transaxle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Xtina2004, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Xtina2004

Xtina2004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks. Forgive the long post, but I wanted to give all the details. I love my Prius and expected to run it for at least another 30k miles, but maybe I can't.....

2004. ~141K miles. (Bought in December 2003. One of the first!)

Replaced the 12V battery in last November (second replacement). Replaced the air conditioner last summer.

The combination meter is shot, so no dashboard or warning lights. The touch screen and the hybrid battery charge level screen still work. It usually shows the battery is mostly charged, sometimes fully charged. All green bars.

Last week, going up a pretty steep hill, car started bucking and losing power. Battery level dropped quickly down to 1 purple bar. (Orange car with explanation point warning light on touch screen). Car lost all power. I had to roll it backwards (downhill) onto the shoulder. Luckily, no traffic.

Engine Wouldn’t start. Didn’t hear the battery cooling fan. But the radio and the phone charging jack worked.

About 45 minutes later when the tow truck was on the way, I tried to start it again. It started up. The battery had more juice then when it died (2 purple bars??) and I continued on my way up the hill.

Took it to the dealership to have it diagnosed:

Codes: P0A090/239 Drive motor “A” performance. HV Transaxle input malfunction (Shaft damage). Also P341 Camshaft Position.

Dealership apparently ignored the P341 and gave me a quote for $7800 for a new transaxle. (This is the Big Island, Hawaii. Things are expensive, but that’s preposterous.)

So I drove it around for another week with no problems while I started looking for a used transaxle. Same symptoms happened again 2 days ago. This time it restarted after about 10 minutes, I made it about 3 more blocks up the hill and into my driveway, but it seemed like it was starting to lose power again.

So thoughts? Can the P341 Camshaft Position error be causing the symptoms? Should I swap in a new one first, or does it sound like the transaxle is really failing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m out of work and don’t really have any money for this repair or for a new car. I’m kind of in trouble here if I have to get this fixed……

Thanks for listening.
    Xtina

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to lusciousgarage.com they are premier Prius repair center and read there service blogs concerning your error code there's some specific discussion about it.
    You can confirm mechanical damage to the transaxle by dumping the trans fluid and look for metal debris on the dump bolt magnet or in the fluid.
    Luscious talks about chain and or bearing failure. Probably could have been mitigated by fluid maintenance.

3. Xtina2004

Xtina2004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I've been there and seem to be having trouble navigating their blog and knowledge base. I get a "not found" response with the error code P0A90 when I try to search on it in the knowledge base. There's an entry about P0A92, but is that not a different code? The symptoms described in that article are nothing like what I've been experiencing. I wonder if you could cut and paste the address for the article you're referring to? Thanks again

4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    heres a link to their youtube videos, lusciousgarage - YouTube
    you might check salvage yards for parts the shipping on used stuff will cost a lot to the islands..
    might want to dump it any 14 year old car is a money pit

5. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on. Parts for Prius everywhere in LA, and cluster repair\exchange cost 100$ on ebay. I have 5 prius cars rental cars, cheaper when Prius you can maintain only bicycle. I'm doing clusters repairs and MFD's, almost nothing elce going bad on this cars if you maintain it as it needs. My biggest milege on prius 430+Kmiles. Still runs like champ.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three