1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! P3190 & Limp Mode after Air filter check & oil chg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CharlesPrius, Feb 24, 2019.

1. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2010 died (Limp Mode) in the middle of the intersection last night, Check Hybrid Sysrem, triangle of death, CEL, ABS, many other lights on! Had to push it to a safe spot and had it towed.

P3190 is the only obdii code. is low engine power right? I had removed the air box to check the air filter yesterday afternoon Just before this happened (slightly dirty so I ordered a new one). I put it back on tightly I thought, but is it possible I knocked something loose or debris fell into the manifold? MAF?

Had it towed to the nearby dealer because I was about to take it in next week for the J0V Hybrid System Software Update Recall anyway (I also have a letter from Toyota regarding possible faulty brake vacuum pump, but it’s not technically a recall and I think unrelated to this). However they’re closed tomorrow (sun) so I’m gonna go over and see if I can remedy p3190 myself because I know I’m looking at them gouging me for $500 just to diagnose it.

Car has 182k miles but the hybrid battery is still under warranty as it was replaced by Toyota at 112k miles under a different owner. Battery fan was getting dust into battery.

Car was running awesome just this afternoon I drove it 40 miles at 60mpg. 50-55mpg per tank, had a head gasket job done 9k ago, oil just changed 300 miles ago.

Anyone have experience with this? I’m hoping a simple remedy, otherwise this could be the end.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife was suggesting I take my parents’ v for an approximate 30 mi round trip drive yesterday, and I told her I’m afraid about that specific recall and the possibility of stalling! I’m so sorry to read you possibly suffered from the issue!

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How much gad do you have in the Prius?

How many miles between taking the air filter off and the code?

What code reader are you using?

4. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Over half a tank. 0 miles (0 feet in fact). Regular obdii scanner. Little orange one paid $50. Attached image.

Attached Files:

5. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    J0V recall covers inverter repair or replacement, so I’m hoping all of this will be covered, I’ve never had any such issues with this car and got the recall remedy letter a few weeks ago but haven’t had time to take it in. Kicking myself now but hoping J0V covers it anyway.

6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The MAF sensor is connected and all that was touched was the air filter?

Nothing else is disconnected?

What is the oil level?

There will be more codes than what your code reader allows you to see.

You might consider getting Techstream while your car awaits the recall.

7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check the intake hose connected to the air box if it’s loose it will put you in limp mode

8. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn’t inspect MAF or every hoses position/condition but I will go look today. Very possible that I was careless opening air box top when inspecting the filter. Very possible. And I can only hope a loose hose or MAF is the cause. However I’ve heard that trying over and over to start it in limp mode can damage the hybrid battery. I think it’s down to one bar (if system is working accurately). Never seen it below two bars.

The car is on the dealers lot. While it’s there though, No harm in letting them diagnose everything while fixing the software and inverter, right? $$$$?

9. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can only hope a loose hose or MAF is the cause. However I’ve heard that trying over and over to start it in limp mode can damage the hybrid battery. I think it’s down to one bar (if system is working accurately). Never seen it below two bars.

10. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are on a pitch count in regards to the hv battery and each time you start it (or try to), the battery depletes a bit more until it is too low to start and then an expensive charge is required :cool:.

I’d look at all connections and try to see what is easy to diagnose without starting the Prius again;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

padroo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I had "erased" the p3190 a couple of times, tried starting, it and 'ran' for about 10 seconds, then Check Hybrid System and p3190 again. I hesitate to do that too many times. Are you saying that when the HV battery is depleted entirely, it won't 'run' at all? Deathly afraid of having to re-charge.

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By erasing the codes you took the dealers best shot of an easy diagnosis away. Sometimes there are other pending codes you cannot see with your code reader. Good luck, I hope it's something simple.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No worries, same code came back

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don't understand, when Toyota plugs their Techstream into your DTC connector there is other information that they can read other than P codes. By disconnecting your battery you wipe everything out. When you get a P code it is called a "Hard Fault" other intermittent information is also stored.

16. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the input

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When it is below a certain voltage threshold, it will not allow further attempts to protect itself;).

Just try to rework your steps and take everything apart to determine the cause. Is the gas cap on correctly?

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Hybrid battery starts the motor. If it is too low, it cannot/will not start the engine. Only way to charge it is take it to Toyota
    or purchase a charger. I think it was $350 for the charger with the a harness for your car. Plus, you need to partial take
    the housing for the battery apart to install the harness. Not really hard, just a lot of steps.

#18 ASRDogman, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Bay Stater, padroo and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE: 1) i am an idiot 2) i am a dumas and C) I figured out why it was giving p3190 and remedied it, I believe. You'd think I'd have noticed that I COMPLETELY pulled off the air intake hose attaching to the throttle body (i think that's the name -- see photo) when checking the engine air filter. I slid it back on (is there a clamp for this? it seems it's just held on by gravity which is what I recall my other Toyota/Lexus intake hoses doing), crossed my fingers, and started. I didn't even clear the code, and the ICE kicked in immediately and stayed on, even though the dash showed the same alerts (see photo). HV charged from 1 to 4 bars, and then ICE stopped as is normal. P3190 was no longer listed as an active DTC, rather a Pending. So, I'm hoping this is it. I could have driven it away, but I have to get the J0V software recall done to pass Smog test anyway, so may as well do it now.

I do have a question about one smaller hose and its clamp (see photo)... sorry I don't know its name. In the photo, is that metal clamp supposed to fit around the outer rubber sleeve above it? Because I tried and it wouldn't stretch large enough. It only fit around the main hose where it joins the air intake assy. I assume this is where it goes, but I don't know the purpose of the rubber sleeve above it? It just kind of sits there and will slide up and down with very little force.

Thanks everyone for your input.

IMG_8197.JPG IMG_8200.JPG IMG_8198.JPG

Attached Files:

20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well the larger diameter hose is the inlet to the throttle body ;).

So that explains the behavior :).

Thanks for circling back and always best to double check any work you do for the cause of issues(y).

Bay Stater likes this.