1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Please: Any experience of Out of Stater buying in NY

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EV-ish, Mar 9, 2017.

1. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    I'm close to buying a Prime from a NY dealership and shipping it out of state. The dealership is charging $178 for a NY title. Is this expected ? Or perhaps it popped up because I requested a temporary plate ?

Rest assured, I asked the dealership about the charge but did not get an answer I could understand other than "that is the way it is in NY!"

Thanks!

2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked up my purchase of my 2012 PIP and in the contract the title fee was marked "N/A" I live in Michigan and drove to Luv Toyota in western New York state and traded my old car in for the 2015 PIP.

EV-ish likes this.
  3. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As I recall the dealer in New York verifies your out of state address and provides you with a temporary paper or cardboard transporter plate you affix to the rear window. You then have a certain time to get the vehicle to the new home state where it is reinspected, registered and titled and where you pay sales tax applicable in the new state. Talk to a supervisor at the Department of Motor Vehicles in New York and they can answer your questions.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

KCobby and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  4. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Thanks CNYhybrid

I was able to avoid the NY temp plate since the car was not going to be driven in NY, just loaded on to a truck. The less NY MVD involvement, the better!
    One dealer was adamant that he had to charge me $178 for NY DMV related stuff but the dealer I eventually chose had no such compulsion.

That is one other advantage of internet buying: dealerships are often times agreeable to not charging any Doc fees

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was quoted this by a NY dealer yesterday for an out-of-state sale of a used Prius--- $75. document fee + $75. for in-transit plate.

6. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Sounds reasonable if you are driving the car home.

7. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It certainly pays to shop around. Many of the Toyota and other dealers charge fees that are not mandatory and many will not agree to waive or absorb them.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    For sure.

9. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So we picked up that PIP in NY yesterday. We took a certified check for the agreed upon amount. We were then told they had mis-quoted and the in-transit plate is $10 instead of $75, so we get a check for $65. They also gave us a used Leaf EVSE they found after having told us it would not come with an EVSE. Points to Nissan of Queens!

EV-ish likes this.
  10. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't go there today (3-13-17). They are going to get major snow and winds. 18 to 24 inches of snow...50 MPH winds. Be safe Prime drivers. I'd stay home.