1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please, need advice on car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmooney, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife and I have found a Prius we are interested in. She loves the car. It is an 06 model, immaculate condition but has 95k miles on it. It is a one owner car. The internet price which is two thousand less than they are asking at the dealership is $9500. It sounds like a great deal. Can I get some opinions on this car? Is that a lot of miles for this car? What kind of mileage can we really expect?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you can hope for another 50-100K miles with regular maintenance. but beware, if something goes drastically wrong (unusual) you could be in for a 5-10K repair bill. all the best!

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the Home page of PC you can read some fairly affirmative articles on the dependability of the HV pack, especially Bob Wilson's comment. Go for it!:cheer2:

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds good to me also. If it's from a Toyota dealership try to get them to throw in a Toyota used car warranty for your peace of mind.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) The economics of Prius ownership work out best if you drive a lot. If the owner bought rationally, there are no 'low mileage' used Prius.

2) I did not recognize your Location so it is difficult to make preditions, but you can expect over 40 MPG, year round.

3) Brake fluid, engine coolent, inverter coolent, and transaxle oil may all need replacement soon if they have not been replaced since new, try to leverage the dealship into doing so as a condition of sale. Also if the 12 volt battery is origonal, start putting some aside to replace it.

6. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We got the car this morning. They told us the battery had an issue and was replaced. He said they rarely have any issues with the cars. I hope we made a good decision because we've got it now!

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which "battery" did they replace?

8. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V

The big one that runs the electric motor.

9. bikr357

bikr357 Plugged in Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then you did well... if you also got them to change all the fluids the car should be in fine shape for many more trouble-free miles.

Congrats and :welcome:

10. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After my short drive before the wife took off for thanksgiving preparations, I have to say this car is nothing short of amazing. She had an 03 Ford escape. It seemed like we jumped forward about 30 years not 3. Now I see why there are so many happy Prius drivers!

BTW Bikr357, we do cycling too, not sure what kind of bike rack to go with....

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That mileage is a little above the average for a vehicle that age.

But..I've always thought there are 2 ways to look at it. A:It's higher mileage, and/or B: At least you know the previous owner had good enough reliabilty and confidence and history with the vehicle to put that many miles on it...if it had been a lemon it's entire history....it probably wouldn't have high miles on it...

Plus a well maintained vehicle, you can expect to be able to put many more miles on it.

Toyota's exceeding 100,000 miles and approaching 200,000 miles are much more the norm than the exception.

Having said that? Over the internet it's impossible to offer a specific opinion on a vehicle. If the price is comparitevly good for similar age and mileage and condition vehicles and YOU are happy with it? Then I'd say roll the dice...but as is with any and all used vehicles....unless you are buying from a well trusted family member...you never, never really know.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brand new HV battery pack, you got a good deal! Keep in touch with PC, learn to use search function, learn 12V check system. Are you lucky enough to have a maint, history on the car?? Happy Prius Day.:cheer2:

13. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V

I dont think we have a maintenance history but judging how flawless it looks, I would assume it has been pampered. It even has michelin tires which is something I never afford myself.

I did notice it has a fresh oil change provided by the dealership. They placed the next oil change at 5k from now. I havent seen that before. I checked the air filter, and fluids. They are all full and appear new. I dont know if it has ever had a trans fluid change. I'm a little stumped at the moment how they designed a car to get the same fuel economy that a small 650cc motorcycle gets. When I drove it, I was impressed by how it felt and the road noise I've read about wasnt there. I'm a little nervous about whether we will have any problems with it down the road and finding someone who knows how to work on these. It is definately nothing I would know how to work on.

14. bikr357

bikr357 Plugged in Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You will find many threads here that discuss racking options. The one I like the best is actually a lightweight aluminum trailer but it's too much of an investment for me at this time I can't justify that outlay until I have more to carry, like kayaks. So take some time to look around here on PC and weight your options.

For now I've settled on a trunk mounted carrier. I'm using a Yakima KingJoe 3 which carries up to three bikes. I got it from REI. It is not listed to fit a Prius so there aren't specific instructions for the car but it does work. It's a tighter fit on my wife's touring edition as the longer rear spoiler on it comes very close to conflicting with the bar which supports the bikes. But for yours (and mine the '06) the clearance for the spoiler is much greater.

After the initial set-up taking it on and off is easy with only four straps to tighten. The rack rests on the rear glass with its lower arm resting on my license plate frame in a way that doesn't obscure the numbers. I like it that way because nothing is directly resting on the paint. It has a six point attachment, two to the top of the hatch, two go straight down to the bottom edge of the hatch with the final two connecting on the edge of the hatch at the horizontal black glass. It is very secure and neither the rack of the bikes sway when carried.

Hope that wan't too much information.

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius accomplishes its fuel economy by a very efficient engine plus the HV Bat assist, greater fuel economy can be gained by following the driving suggestions on PC,. DIY, ( do it yourself maint ) is incredibly easy on this car, most of the time. Troubleshooting is trickier. It always is better tho if you know more than the mechanic, salesman, etc. This can be attained on PC. This is not just a car, it is a mental state. You got an incredible deal. :cheer2: