1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Please. SKS Key Indicator Light Draining Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by homiejoe2, Jan 25, 2024.

1. homiejoe2

homiejoe2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So my battery went dead during a cold night. I wasn't surprised. I jumped the car, drove around. Checked the battery- it's holding a charge. The issue is, my SKS Light (red light shapped like a car with the black key in the middle) is constantly blinking. The car is off and my Key Fob is a half mile away. Definitely out of range. Went back without the key on my person and the light is contantly blinking. I cannot remember this happening in the past. As I remember the light only blinked when my fob was within range.
    Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.
    -The Homie

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then the alarm is armed? If you to push in the SKS or key button below the steering wheel does this still continue? Bring the remote in range start the car just because pushing the key button underneath the steering wheel then shut the car down unslot the remote or whatever you do and get out of the car close the door walk off put the key 20 ft away and go back to the car and look I don't think that light blinking is going to drain your battery and any normal kind of way If your battery is draining because that light is flashing you better have your 12 volt checked unless it's taking a week to drain the battery and even then something is kind of suspect that little LED flashing like that man 2032 battery ought to run that for a week just that light flashing it would seem like if it was steady on that would be quite different but that's not a thing. And all of my generation two cars I have tech the Toyota software connected and I turn all of that alarm and beeping stuff off as much as you can in the Toyota software so I have no beeping no light flashing when I lock the doors with the remote no chirps nothing I unplugged that chirping thing speaker underneath my fender in the front left side of the car so when I lock my doors all I hear is the doors locking no chirps no beeps but I do have the flashing light on the dash and it seems to work very well and I don't think that can be turned off and my battery never goes dead from that light flashing ever and I'm in Central North Carolina where it does get 0° in the winter. Not for long but it does. I also noticed that on one of my generation twos or two of them I have the alarm that I never personally set for any reason I'm in a zero crime zone but yet sometimes I'll look out at my green car an '08 and the headlights and the turn signals or whatever will be flashing like the alarm is going off but everything on the car is silent so there's no noise it's just the lights flashing If I pick up my remote or reaching my pocket and push the unlock or the lock button the flashing will stop or if I do nothing in the minute or two the flashing will stop but I don't know what setting that off there's nothing moving no animals I haven't touched the car sometime if I just walk by it going to get in another one the green car will start flashing oh well it stops it doesn't drain the battery so I guess I don't really care. The remotes belong to the car and if not been replaced or any of that I have re-cased the remotes and the transponder chips but they're original to the vehicle not purchased or lost and any of that.

3. homiejoe2

homiejoe2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm going to test the battery again. Maybe it's time for a new battery but the battery is only around 3 years old so I'm a bit surprised.
    Thanks for the reply much appreciated

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    3-year-old battery in your remote yeah you might want to give that a whirl just to see I don't know the temperature extremes you're in or any of that but that's a pretty good run for a modern CR2032 battery and so on and so forth I'd certainly give that a shot before I would resort to other things.