1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please with selection. 2013 Prius, 2012 Prius, 2013 Prius C or used Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MarkOlin, Apr 20, 2013.

1. MarkOlin

MarkOlin Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hello,
    So, I just sold my Honda CRV. I'm looking for a new car. I have it narrowed down to the following:
    - 2013 Prius "two"
    - 2012 Prius "two" new leftover
    - 2011 Prius "two" used with 8k miles.
    - 2013 Prius C "two"
    - 2012 Prius C "two" new leftover (only found 1 in the area)

I need this car for my daily driver to work and back. Space is not important to me, but mileage, reliability and quality are very important.
    Of course the new 2013 Prius is what I really want and I can afford it (with the 0%) but it is at the very top of my budget. I could save an additional $1k-$1.5k on the leftover & I could save a few thousand more if I went with the C.
    And, there is the Prius C. While I like the car and it does the job just fine.....To me, it seems a little cheep in comparison to the regular Prius. I plan on keeping this car for 7 to 10 years and I am not sure how well the C will holdup espieally here in the northeast with snow, salt and rough roads.
    I just can not make up my mind. Maybe some of you current Prius owners have some feedback that will help? Any comment will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do not describe your commute, (the higher speed it is, the more the better aerodynamics of the fullsized Prius benefit you over the lighter weight Prius c for fuel mileage. The more sitting in traffic, the better the c will perform) but if you truly never intend to have more than one passenger, there is nothing wrong with the c.

Even small children will be happier in the full sized Prius, and no adult you ever expect to talk to you again should ride in the back of the c.

While I have you here, remember to make turning the continuous reverse beep to a single beep a part of the sale. (at least on the fullsized Prius) And here is a link on the kind of owners who should not own a Prius:

considering a Prius | PriusChat

3. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think I would be concerned that the C won't hold up, I think it will do well in that department, it is a Toyota. If I was making your choice, I'd go with one of the last three on your list and have some $$$$s left. I can always come up with a new toy that I want.:)

4. MarkOlin

MarkOlin Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My commute is 15 miles each way. I've say half of that is highway, the other half is stop and go. To me, the reason I want the Prius over the C is the Prius just feels like an overall higher quality vehicle. I know down the road the resale will be higher. I am not sure if I want to send $3500 more.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That is a short commute, but a Prius may still save you some gas.

Never own a car you hate. You will not baby it as much and it will age faster than a car you take care of.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is the 13 prius? you might do well with a heavily discounted pip. can you charge at work?

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How is the 2011 equipped? You may want the backup camera, as the rear visibility is, um, suboptimal.

[Edit: Sorry, I missed that it is a 2, so I don't think it has the camera].

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Try and find a leftover 12 Prius 3, should sell for about what a 13 2 sells for and you get a lot more, good luck.

9. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought a used 2011 Prius IV with 15K mis, with solar roof and leather last September for $24K. A new one would have cost $10K more and Toyota replaced leather with pleather in the interim.

My vote is to go with a low mileage used piece that still has ample remaining new car warranty and permit someone else to subsidize the depreciation.

10. MarkOlin

MarkOlin Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The leftover 2012 Prius C is gone. It's down to this:
    - leftover new 2012 Prius "three" reduced to $23.5
    - New 2013 Prius "two" reduced to $23.6
    - Uused 2011 Prius "two" with 7k miles, asked $21.5k, can get for $19.9k
    - New 2013 Prius C "two" reduced to $19.8k

11. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any of these will hold up well. If you like me are going to keep it 7-10 years then go for the Prius rather than the C. You will never know what the future holds. Love my Prius as a people and cargo hauler. Also I would buy new so you have comfort in knowing how it was driven from day #1.

Forgot the differences between a model 2 and 3... I know I was happy with the model 2 for my needs....

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mark: What state are you in?

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There were significant changes to the equipment levels on regular (lifback) Priuses starting w/the '12 model year. See Exclusive: 2012 MY Prius - Changes and Additions | PriusChat (note about backup camera on model 2 is wrong) and Toyota Prius 2013 | Hybrid Car.

Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota is right for the '10 and '11 models, except the prices are old and outdated. MY11 Prius | PriusChat discusses the nomenclature change starting w/'11.

14. MarkOlin

MarkOlin Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    NY, near Buffalo

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool. The reason why I ask is because the regular Prius (liftback), gets a 10 year/150K mile warranty on the HV battery in CA and CARB states vs. the 8 years/100K miles for rest of country. NY IS a CARB emissions state.

Take a look at http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-13Prius/pdf/2013_Toyota_Prius_WMG.pdf.

IIRC, Prius c does NOT get 10 years/150K, even in CARB states. You can download the warranty guides at Toyota Owners Resource Center: Owners Manuals, Automotive Glossary, Warranty, Safety Information.

I'm right now having trouble getting to the '13 Prius c warranty booklet, but you can see the '12 at battery warranty | PriusChat.

16. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would pick one of the first two on your list, that way your buying new. Also I think the regular Prius is a more robust car than the C, which is important here in NY.

17. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Consider which Prius has a color you like.

18. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One thing to consider is that the 0% financing is only on the 2013 models. I was also looking at a left over from 2012 but the dealer indicated the 0% was not available for it (just bought mine this past weekend). For only $100 more get the 2013 model and have them throw in a free cargo net or something.

19. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How long will you be financing? New Prius = 0% up to 48 mos, 0.9% up to 60 mos. New Prius C = 0% up to 36 mos.

I was seriously debating between a 2013 Prius C four w/moonroof vs. 2013 Prius Three w/solar roof. After 60 mo financing, the Prius Three came out to be about $1,500 more OTD, which we thought wasn't much more. We decided to get the bigger car because we plan to have a baby and needed the extra trunk space. But in reality, I really wanted to get the C because it was more appealing and felt more responsive in the driver's seat. If you're concerned about the C's quality, it's using the second gen prius motor pretty much.

20. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I regretted getting the higher trim on my wife's Prius. The Nav + entune is less than desirable (old and slow interface, and locks you out when the vehicle is moving). I'm much happier with my two with a garmin and aftermarket front and back camera+trip recorder. IMO is not worth over 1K in options unless you wanted the solar roof which only comes on the Three and Four. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If it is over 6/7 years the depreciation factor is minimal.