1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help pls - tire pressure, squeaking brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cjindia, Oct 6, 2008.

1. cjindia

cjindia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All

I am a new owner of a Prius (purchased on July 2, 08) and this has 3900 miles on it. I notice that every time I start the car and back up the brakes start squeaking (cant tell if it front or back). It only happen when I start the car and move away and doesnt happen after that. ANy ideas on what this could be?

Also, yesterday, suddenly my tire pressure warning light came on. I cant see anything wrong in visually looking at the tires and will check pressure at the gas station today. If the pressure turns out to be fine (which I suspect it will), any ideas on why i might be getting this warning light?

Thanks much.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hi Cjindia, 1. This is normal, don't worry about it. The brake disk is probably just has surface rust on it from sitting overnight, especially if it's outside. My Prius does it every am when i back down the driveway.
    2. Has it gotten colder where you are? If so probably one of your tires if not all has lost some air pressure. Or unfortunatly you may have a slow leak(if light comes on again. Make sure you keep your tires at least 42 psi front and 40 psi back for best mpgs and best tire life. You should check your tire pressure every week or so especially when it gets cold out.

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had that same brake squeek. I took it to the dealer, he said they were out of adjustment at 8k miles but that was a seperate issue.

The brakes are cold and basically testing themselves is what he told me...:confused:

4. cjindia

cjindia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The squeak happens to me every time I start. Even if the car has been sitting for just 10 minutes. I suspect therefore that it is not a cold start issue. Any other ideas?

On the tires, paprius4030, I am in Chicago and it has gotten quit e abit cooler, so I will update the air pressure and see if it works. If it is a slow leak, is there any way to test for it, other than to wait for the light to come on again?

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only way to see if you have a slow leak is to keep checking the tire pressure everyday. Once you have them all at the correct pressure they should all stay there or come down at the same rate. ie. if you set the front at 42 and the rear at 40 then say you recheck them in a few days and 3 of them only lost 1 pound but say the right front lost 5 lbs. then i would suspect the right front has a slow leak.