1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Prius Center Console went dark

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dlidawer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. dlidawer

dlidawer New Member

I have a 2005 Prius that came with two smart Silver FOBs (e.g. key never leaves your pocket). I purchased two additional FOBs and took them to a Toyota dealership to have them programmed and the keys cut. They could only program the new FOBs as remotes (physical keys worked, FOB could start the car, buttons did not work and it was not smart). I went to another programmer with only 3 FOBs and he made 2 smart and 2 remotes and asked me to come back with all four FOBs. Yesterday I brought him four FOBs and he reset the system and made two working remotes and two paperweights. He asked me to leave the car for a day so he can straighten everything out.
    As I exited I saw three warning lights on including brake and ABS. The brake was off and everything else appeared fine. Later in the day I turned on the car and the center console was dark. The radio does not work etc. The 7.5 fuse looks fine.
    My wife is ready to kill me for destroying our car. Should I let the guy continue working on the FOBs? Should I go straight to a dealership? Is there a reset mechanism for the center console and/or warning lights? Suggestions are very much appreciated. I am offering a reward for progress on my disaster. My cellular is 847-877-6741.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dan,

First, I hope you know that 2G Prius with Smart system will refuse to recognize fobs that have been used more than 128 times. If you bought two used fobs, it is an exercise in futility to expect them to provide Smart functionality on your car. The work that the dealership did was the best that could be done.

If in fact any fuses were blown, then I would say that it would be quite unwise for you to allow this "programmer" any further access to your vehicle.

Regarding the radio not working, I recommend that you check the following fuses: 15A DOME, 15A ECU-B, 7.5A ECU-IG, 7.5A ACC, 30A AMP. Note that there is a fuse box under the instrument panel on the driver's side as well as the main relay/fuse box near the inverter.

After you've replaced any blown fuses, if the brake/ABS lights are still on then it sounds like you have a problem with the skid control ECU and you'll have to seek dealer assistance.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. dlidawer

dlidawer New Member

Will my original FOBs work again as Smart FOBs? Should I just get all of those fuses? Are they available at regular automotive supply stores? I know about a fuse box under the hood, where is the other one? Thanks for your comments.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the "programmer" erased the Smart ECU so that it no longer recognizes your original fobs, then they probably won't work again as Smart fobs.

The Prius fuses are a special small size that may not be sold at your local discount auto parts stores. You may have to obtain them from your dealer on Monday.

In the meantime, pull the fuses that I mentioned, one at a time, and use a digital multimeter on the ohms function to test continuity of the fuses - so you can make progress on this today.

You'll need to look under the instrument panel on the driver's side, for a small fuse box.