1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, Prius will not start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Freedom, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2008 Prius, bought it new. Have about 35000 miles on it.

Have not noticed any issues.

Just went to run an errand and . . . it won't start. Check engine light comes on, sometimes a few other lights (I tried to start it a few times) and the brake light comes on (the parking brake is NOT on) and there is a bit of a noise, but nothing happens. I shut it right off.

Car is in garage. Called local / closest dealship, where I have been for oil changes the last 2 times, they advised I call AAA (I am a member) and have it towed in. The tech said it sounds like the battery is gone. WHAT?! The big battery or the 12v? He thinks the big one, can't tell till he sees the car. The horn works. (he asked me that, on the phone).

So um, gulp, I guess I call AAA. I hope they know the Prius, I don't know how to get it out of the garage - how do you back it out? - and I know there are special rules for towing a Prius, do I have to insist on a flatbed?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do have gas, thanks.

Like that link, thank you. Went out and tried, pressing button withOUT the brake, nothing happens. Can not get to ACC mode; I HAVE done that in the past, so I know how to do that. Nothing. Dead.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Freedom. Rather than going to the trouble of getting it towed on a flatbed, you could go and buy a cheap battery charger. I think they start from as low as about $25. Most will have some type of "state of charge" indicator, so connecting one up will tell you straight away if the 12V battery is the problem or not.

There is an easy to access jumper/charging point under the hood, so if you leave a charger connected for a few hours you'll probably be able to drive it to the dealer to get a new battery fitted.

What ever you do, don't under any circumstances let someone jump it who doesn't know what they're doing. Make sure you let them know that connecting reverse polarity, even for a second, can potentially do thousands of dollars worth of damage.

5. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK car is fixed. It was the 12 volt battery. AAA tested it, only 7.7 volts. He jumped it and I drove to the dealer, got the new one installed. $325 - $33 credit - special going on, donate canned goods to the local food bank, and they give you a 10% discount. So while they worked, I walked to the local Shaw's grocery store and picked up 2 canned items.

Geesh, this really threw me! I was so worried what was wrong with my car!

Mad Kimbo, just me here, and I only have the one car, so going out to buy a charger was not really an option.

Glad to have this forum available for support. Thanks!!