1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help.. questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintbhs02, Nov 6, 2007.

1. clintbhs02

clintbhs02 New Member

Hey! Ive kinda did a quick search but couldnt really find anything to help me so im coming to you all.

2 questions...

First, this weekend was my 2nd road trip in the Prius over 500 miles. But this road trip I noticed something totally different. After I was on the highway or so, and pulled off for gas/food/traffic/etc I noticed my car smelled like a burning electrics. I wasnt pushing the car hard or anything. A nice steady up hill down hill country roads at like 65MPH. So after the smell started to come in the car I pulled over and opened the hood... and it smelled like an over worked electric motor. But, I had no lights come on, no warnings...And all the fluids were correct.

Is this normal? or should I go see Toyota? Thanks

Second.. Im only typing this right now this early, because my car woke me up 5 times. the car alarm lately has been going off for no reason. It will randomly start honking. I sat up for about 30 minutes this morning watching it. And sure enough nothing touched it or anything. There was a slight wind like 10mph but still it shouldnt be doing that. any of you have this problem? I think it might be a faulty window break sensor or something.

Thanks for your input!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard of other people having to disconect the window break thing because of false alrms. Not sure about your electrical smell. I would be concerned about it also.

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long have you had the car? Sometimes the protective oil burning off of the exhaust system can smell a bit like melting insulation. That should be done within the first few hundred miles of driving, though. Cruising at 65mph (heck, cruising at 80) shouldn't be enough of a load to overwork anything. The hybrid system will throw codes and shut itself down long before anything gets hot enough to do damage. That said, do take it in if the smell comes back. Any wiring that gets hot enough to smell should be addressed.

4. clintbhs02

clintbhs02 New Member

The car is a 2007 Touring.. with 13K miles. Ive never had the problem before.. and I tested out today and nothing! So maybe that is a good thing, but next time I think Ill just stop by Toyota have them smell it and tell me.. ahah