1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help removing orange/amber reflector from headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AdamKPL, Apr 11, 2011.

1. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to convert my US-spec Prius to an EU-spec Prius because I'm moving overseas. I have HID lights - are all the headlights the same and the bulb/ballast differ or is it different entirely? Also has anyone had luck taking the orange reflector out. I saw in a search that in the Gen 3 Prii you need to replace the amber with a clear reflector. I used to have a Nissan Maxima and I just had to remove the amber and it was ok. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To do it properly you need to bake the headlight (for 7 minutes at 265deg). Luckily the Toyota headlights use a soft glue so it comes apart easily and is easy to put back together. If you are going to go through all that effort you might consider doing a projector retrofit for MUCH better HID lighting.

PNP Upgrade: Bi-xenon - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

3. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip. Do you just take out the amber plastic and done or do you need to find replacement clear plastic/reflector?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot honestly say because I have not done it. If you do a search you'll find better info from those who have done it. I just know how to bake a headlight. lol

5. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

How did this turn out? I remember I did this on my Civic.

6. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually had the HIDs in my Prius and was worried about messing it up. After I moved to Poland I just took out the bulbs that light up the amber part and didn't have any issues since I had my lights on (required by law) and no one could tell if there was an extra light shining. Good luck! I also considered swapping with a Euro spec Prius headlight but didn't want to loose the HIDs.