1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: Replaced 2 Cells, Did not unplug Aux Battery prior, Dash Still Full of Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cookprius, Jun 17, 2016.

1. cookprius

cookprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for some help from folks who have replaced bad cells in the hybrid pack. Here are the main points to summarize my situation:

• 2007 Prius, ~108K miles (yes, just out of warranty...)
    • Measured individual cells to determine which were below acceptable levels, replaced them
    • Reinstalled hybrid pack, including the orange plug with position clicked down into proper position
    • Started car (or attempted to do so), dash full of lights
    • Realized that the important initial step of disconnecting the auxiliary battery was not done prior to starting the job (not sure why I overlooked this fundamental thing but now trying to recover from the mistake)
    • Immediately began researching. Found that others have done this same thing and for some, unplugging and letting set for a while cleared the codes stored in the ECU (are codes stored elsewhere, as well?). This did NOT happen in my experience. I repeated a few times for good measure but no luck.
    • I found, while further researching, many suggestions were made that a Toyota Techstream scanner is necessary for full clearing of stored codes (in other words, other scanners are only capable of partial clearing of codes). Problem is, the Techstream scanner is pretty expensive.
    • Found these seemingly-helpful official Toyota sets of content related to the issue but without the Techstream, not sure I can put the instructions to full use:
    So, that's where I am now. Once discovering the Techstream information and then learning the costs associated with buying one, I temporarily paused on the project. I need help to move forward. Does anyone have any positive-oriented, helpful advice and/or similar/same experience? Glad to provide any other information that could be of assistance in moving forward.

I appreciate your time.

Dan

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you press the start button twice after pressing down and holding the brake pedal? The Prius will not start after removing and reinstalling the HV battery unless you do this.

cookprius likes this.
  3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Techstream is cheap if you have a Win7-32bit laptop. You need to read codes. Options in my signature.

The highlighted/bolded/underlined portion is where you likely went wrong or what Ren said.

#3 S Keith, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    cookprius and jadziasman like this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    May be more likely you left something unplugged or not properly assembled in the battery pack.
    Getting the codes will help.
    But I'd remove the battery and look things over again.
    Are all modules correctly facing? Polarity switching ever other.
    Are all nuts and bolts properly torqued?
    Unplug and reply each connector.
    You cleaned Hybrid Battery the fan, so did you plug both back in?

cookprius likes this.