1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP right now PLEASE

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DawnMarie, May 18, 2007.

1. DawnMarie

DawnMarie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A dealer is getting a car ready for me RIGHT NOW. I have a 2005 and love everything about my car. I want the back up sensor that is now available. They also said they'd add leather and heated seats for $1600. extra. Should I do the deal or is it dumb because I am getting the same car? Any help right now would be great.

Dawn

2. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DawnMarie @ May 18 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]445072[/snapback]</div>
    DO IT. You know you want it and you deserve it. DO IT!

3. IsItOn

IsItOn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DawnMarie @ May 18 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]445072[/snapback]</div>
    the leather you can get on ebay for less than $600. The back-up camera is good but i dont use mine that much. if those are the only reasons you want to up grade, then dont.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DawnMarie @ May 18 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]445072[/snapback]</div>
    if i were you i would just wait till the new version comes out in '09 or '10.

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I suppose it depends on what version of the car you have now. I mean besides the backup camera (you can have mine I never look at it) are you adding anything you don't have that you absolutely must have or really wish your version included? If not it may be better to wait a year or so for the next generation prius vehicles.

If it were me I wouldn't do it (and I seem to get new cars every two years) :) There is nothing significant added since 05 to justify the purchase and you'll have to go through another break in period...etc.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are not telling us how many miles your 2005 has. I figure you would get 100,000 fairly trouble free miles from the 05 or 07. Of course, the car can go much further, but you will probably run into some major repairs or things that just don't work and you decide to live with them.

Use my justification formula:

Take the cost of the new car and divide by 100,000 for your cost per miles.
    Multiply the New Car Cost Per Mile by the miles on your trade in to get $ figure for Trade In Miles used.
    Then subtract $Trade In Miles Used and Trade in value from the cost of the new car.
    Subtract any State of Federal Tax Rebates you are sure you can get.

Whatever is left is the cost for your upgrade and then just decide if that is worth it to you for the Back Up Camera, Heated Leather Seats, and don't forget that awsome New Car Smell.

Example:
    New Car is 27K and they offer you 12K for you 05. The 05 has 30,000 miles on it.
    27,000 / 100,000 = 27 cents per mile.
    27,000 - $8,100 miles used on 05 - $12,000 trad in - $875 remaining Fed Tax rebate = $7,025.

Now price out the benefits:
    Heated Leather Seats = $1600
    Back Up Camera (prevents a fender bender) = $1000
    That New Car Smell = Priceless!

I would say just do it too.

Did the moderators move this to the Newbie Forum? Dawn is not a Newbie, she has had her 2005 for a couple years and made almost 100 posts.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if money is no issue, then hey, go for it!

me, i'd hate to start over on a car that's half paid off already. especially if you bought new, the longer you keep the car the longer you have to spread the new-car cost across the time of ownership.

plus, you never know, someone might up and total your other paid-off car in a hit and run accident. no, i'm not bitter. :lol:

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DawnMarie @ May 18 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]445072[/snapback]</div>
    What back up sensor?

8. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't have leather seats myself. I have always prefered cloth seats to leather, but to each his own.

9. DawnMarie

DawnMarie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, thanks for all your insight. Unfortunatly, when I left for the dealer I only had one hit on my question and it was "do it". So I did. I am starting over on payments but I am getting heated leather seats and my back up camera. I am only missing the automatic door locks when I accelerate. They said it was an aftermarket thing. I have a package 5 and am adding the leather/heated seats. I hope that wasn't dunb. I am excited but feeling a little foolish that I bought the same car same color. Thanks again for all your help - I really appreciate it.

Dawn

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    WOW! You have a weird definition of "Unfortunately". I bet by now, you are feeling that it was Fortunate!