1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help save the RAV4 EV electric Vehicles! Meet Wktec Celebs!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by naterprius, Oct 13, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some of the very last RAV4 EV Electric Vehicles are slated to be returned off lease by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP). These 74 vehicles, once returned to Toyota, face an uncertain fate; Toyota has, as recently as last week, indicated that they are "decontenting" these vehicles. In short, they agreed last fall with Plug-In America not to crush any more RAV4 EVs, and to allow lease holders to buy out their leases. Toyota is now "decontenting" vehicles (i.e., shredding) many of these vehicles that they are trying to convince people nobody wants. Toyota has thus far refused to make these vehicles available for sale and we intend to crank up the public pressure to change their minds. For this we need people! And lots of them!

I am flying to Los Angeles and will present the LADWP with the means to buy out the leases. I have arranged $1.85 million in funding from an investor and will present the buyout option to the LADWP at their public meeting on Tuesday, October 17th, 2006 (this Tuesday!). We hope to sway the LADWP to help us convince Toyota to allow the buyout.

Plug In America will be holding a news conference at 1:00 PM out in front of the building; before the 1:30 public meeting. Plug In America supports any and all efforts to put plug-in cars in private hands, and they are supporting me in this effort!

Some celebrities will be at the press conference: some of the cast of "Who Killed the Electric Car?"

Come meet celebs, and show support for this buyout effort!

The address is:

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
    Room 1555-H, 15th Floor
    111 North Hope Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

The time:
    1:00 PM for the Press Conference (out front)
    1:30 PM for the Public Meeting

Everyone involved must know that I am attempting to sell these cars for a profit (how else could I borrow $1.85 million?). You won't get anything in return other than satisfaction of saving these amazing cars. However, these cars will be made available for sale soon. These cars recently have sold for $55,000 and even higher on ebay. I intend to sell them for substantially less; I will advertise on PriusChat once I clear it with Danny.

Watch for a press release here:
    http://www.pluginamerica.com/press.shtml

More about the meeting:
    http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp001861.jsp

Thanks for your support! I hope to see you there!

Nate

2. narussian

narussian New Member

I don't have the means to be able to be out there with you but good luck, I hope that you will be successful!!!!!

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately, I have to work and can't get off for something like this.

I wish you the best. I'm sure it will be great PR. But I can't help but think how influential this is going to be toward achieveing your objective. The L.A. water department really doesn't have any say. I'm sure they've tried to negotiate to keep the vehicles already. Will anyone in any position of authority from Toyota be there?

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have had some healthy conversations with a higher up at Toyota. Good people run that company; I'll know they'll do the right thing with a little prodding.

Nate

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 13 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]332624[/snapback]</div>
    That's good to know.

The ideal scenario would be for a Toyota representative to be on hand at your press conference on Tuesday to make an announcement and accept the check. After all, they already sold some so what's the big deal if they sell a few more? And it would certainly set Toyota apart from the other company's post lease behavior. And it would make a great addendum to Who Killed the Electric Car for Toyota to do the exact opposite of GM.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Goodonya Nate. I'll be in the desert but will be very interested to hear the out come. How much is substantially less? Are you gonna sell any in Longmont?

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the support, everybody. Perhaps I should say, "I know Toyota will do the right thing under intense public pressure." ;-)

Tripp, I'll announce pricing as soon as Danny gives me the nod. Yes, I'll try to sell a few in Colorado; the tax credit is unbelievable. If you pay about $40,000, you can get about $25,000 back in a tax credit; leaving a net cost of about $15,000.

It's still a long shot to be able to buy these cars. Toyota honestly doesn't want to sell them (they want them off the roadway), and the LADWP doesn't actually own them. But, I'm going anyway.

Nate

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gor Blimey that's a big tax credit! Is that a fed tax credit or fed/state combined? I was very pleasently surprised with CO's Prius tax credit. $3434 for a 2005. I saved over $4K with the fed deduction thrown in. This, however, is a "bit" more.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's all state credit. You can carry it forward up to five years. It is up to you to submit a "comparison vehicle" to determine the proper credit; so it will actually vary depending upon mileage, year, etc.

CO's income tax is 4.5%, so if your household earns $100,000 you can claim $4500 each year until the credit is consumed. What you actually do is drop your state witholding to zero as soon as you get the EV; then submit paperwork to the state with tax return. They will contact you to confirm since so few people take advantage of this credit.

I can put you in touch with someone who has done this; in fact, he gets a new EV every few years.

Here are the details of the credit:

http://www.state.co.us/oemc/programs/trans...on/Vehicles.pdf

Nate

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 14 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]332709[/snapback]</div>
    Those evil, short-sighted, greedy, in-cahoots-with-the-oil-companies bastards!!!!

Oops.. Aren't we talking about GM? ... No??? ... Toyota??? ... But they're trying to shred EV cars, right? ... Oh... well... OK, I guess... You're right, we've got to support our team...

Ahem... Those benevolent, generous, well-meaning, conscientious cuties!!!! Long live Toyota! Death to GM!

How's that? ... Thanks... Too bad it wasn't GM, we could have really socked it to them. Maybe even make a movie...

(Although I used your quote Nate, this post wasn't really targeted at you. I'm just amused by how calm and friendly this thread is. If it was about GM, everyone would have brought out their torches and pitchforks.)

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

How did it go Nate?

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By all accounts, it went "as well as can be expected." I'll let Nate fill in the details when he has time. The bottom line is that Nate still has his suitcase of unmarked bills. The process has at least assured us that more of these vehicles will remain in use than originally planned by DWP.

14. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 19 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]335074[/snapback]</div>
    When do we get to hear from Nate???

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Soon. Trying to catch up on work, homelife, and trying to wrap my brain around this utterly surreal experience, in order to summarize it for the rest of you.

I still haven't gotten my pics off the camera.

For now, it seems that of 74 RAV4-EV's, 68 will stay and 6 will go back to Toyota.

Nate

16. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 19 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]335127[/snapback]</div>
    Well, at least someone's batting .920. Any word on what Toyo will do this them? Sell them to GM so that those wicked dogs and crush them. They must be jonzing to do. (Sorry Marlin. I couldn't resist your offer :D )

Take your time Nate-o. we'll patiently await you news.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While we're waiting for Nate to catch up and shove his brain back into his head... here are some pics, videos and info to keep you entertained: Link to Stefano's page Nate was most definitely the hero of the day down there!

The six cars going back to Toyota will likely be "recycled."

18. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Darell, Thanks for the link. Lots of pics and Nate in a suit. Very nice.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so who do we call if we want to buy one of the accident-damaged ones? they don't have to fix it, and it's going into very capable hands...

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]336602[/snapback]</div>
    If any of these vehicles is ever availble, Nate will be your dealer.... so to speak. ;)