1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help socket stuck in spark plug tube

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Theregulator187, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Theregulator187

Theregulator187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I grabbed the wrong extension and socket and it is stuck in the spark plug tube. The top of the spark plug is sticking through the top of the socket. Any advise I've tried about everything to get it out but it won't budge. My last thought was removing the spark plug tube to get it out.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THAT is not useful information.......because nobody knows what you consider to be "everything".

My only suggestion is to tap gently on the socket all around the sides with something like a
    small hammer or a socket extension bar.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the socket wedged? or is it loose, but you're just unable to grip it to pull it out?

Get a piece of very stiff wire/thin rod. Something similar to the spring steel wire used to hold insulation between joists in a crawlspace. Those things are tough as nails. Bend the end into a small elbow and try to fish it down the socket drive opening. Even with the plug sticking up, maybe there's enough room to slide the hook into it and pull upward firmly.

Otherwise, get a very strong magnet?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hopefully, as mentioned above, the socket isn't wedged against the inner wall of the tube. That would make getting it out much more difficult.

Sounds like you tried using a shallow socket instead of a deep socket if the top of the spark plug is coming out of the top of the socket.

Try and find another socket the same size as the one that's in the tube, or very close to it. Then tape it on your socket extension. You can try to attach some of the tape with the sticky side out along the leading edge of the socket and try to see if you can get it to stick to the socket at the bottom to fish it out carefully. Also, you can tape two sockets together, such that the bottom facing one is reverse facing, so it has a larger flat surface to hold the sticky side out tape. It would still have the 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole in the middle to clear the protruding spark plug through the socket at the bottom of the spark plug hole.

Otherwise, you might need to try the magnet. They sell magnetic pick up tools that telescope out to reach down into places like your situation. This type of tool, along with the grabber type, has saved my @$$ many times. Good luck!

Screenshot_20230816_083136_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 xliderider, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This tool is interesting, it has an LED light, strong magnet, and a grabber, all-in-one tool. Screenshot_20230816_084321_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try grabbing with extra long needle nose pliers? I’ve tried to recreate what’s happening:

Attached Files:

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you've got narrow enough pliers to get down there, you grab the top of the plug in the drive square, not the side of the socket.

Work out the cam position, rotate the crank to the appropriate position and pressurize the exhaust? ...with a shopvac over the plug well?

Honestly I like @TMR-JWAP's suggestion best. Just don't let any bits of wire break off down there...

Many years ago I learned the value of using locking extension bars with plug sockets. The plug can never push through the drive hole, the bar cannot disconnect from the socket until you operate the release.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Chinese finger trap?!

Best of luck!

Mr. F likes this.
  9. sparkydog

sparkydog New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    This:
    [​IMG]
    $4.99 at Harbor Freight

10. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    All above are good.
    Maybe as a last resort.... JB Weld.
    JB "glue" a smaller diameter socket onto the top of the stick socket.
    Avoid gluing the spark plug tip, just in case the plug is still threaded into the hole.
    Spray some grease wax remover/ contact cleaner onto the stick socket, apply glue, let dry for a day, insert an extension and good luck.
    Let us know what worked :)

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If all the above suggestions don't work out, removing the valve cover is fairly easy and once you do that you'll have several additional options.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gotta love these threads that leave everyone who made suggestions to the OP, just hanging... /s

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... People are rude. All the time everyone spent to help and not even a thank you or even a second post from OP. Just crickets... Makes it seem like we're talking amongst ourselves and not really helping anyone. Of course even more rude than that is people not searching the website for the answer before asking. That's way worse and creates chaos when it comes to helping people. Of course new posts create more web traffic, which pays the bills, so I understand why it's not addressed.

14. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had this happen to me on a Gen 3. I had to JB Weld a 10" socket extension to the stuck socket and then pull it out 2 days later. It scored the inside walls of the socket hole.

15. Theregulator187

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

16. Theregulator187

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    Sorry haven't responded been busy I've tried the jb another socket to the one stuck and that got stuck too. I'm at my last resort I tried to get the second socket out with a locking extension and it won't budge either it just spins. My last resort is removing the spark plug tubes. Prius camper after I remove the valve cover gasket what is my other options that you mentioned

#16 Theregulator187, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2023
  17. Theregulator187

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What would the option be I'm assuming removing the spark plug tube

18. Theregulator187

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are those options at this point I think this is where I'm at.

19. Theregulator187

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So update on stuck socket I got the one out that was tried to jb weld to the other one now I just have the original one with the head of the spark plug sticking through showing not sure how to get that one out.

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    harbor freight sells 12 inch locking clamp pliers that might work. HF also sells smaller locking clamp pliers that might work if the 12 incher doesn't give enough room down the tube to lock onto the top of the sparky.
    Locking clamp pliers = non surgical hemostats