1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Suddenly smartkey stopped works.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by immortal-lexx, Nov 13, 2019.

1. immortal-lexx

immortal-lexx New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello!
    Suddenly my smartkey fob stopped works (Prius 20 2003y). Battery cr2032 I replaced, but there are no effect. Door lock/unlock also not works. I thinked that eeprom in smartkey ECU have a trouble, then i did SMARTKEY RESET in Techstream, and then try to register smartkey again - also no effect. I think that Wireless signal not received to smartkey ECU. What you think about device 89741-47110 (Wireless door receiver), perhaps it damaged ? If i check wires from wriless door receiver to smartkey ECU and it OK, can i replace wireless door receiver ? Is it possible to register in the future my smartkey fob by Techstream ?
    thanks.
    p.s. sorry for my english :)

2. immortal-lexx

immortal-lexx New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problem was solved, violet wire damage from receiver.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how did it get damaged, were you working in that area?

4. immortal-lexx

immortal-lexx New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I opened the scheme of wiring from Smartkey ECU to door wireless receiver and test 5 wires from ID2 (front door LH wire) connector to wireless door receiver. Central wire (violet) was not connect to ID2. Then I tried to find wire break step by step and found it on floor wire near door near rear left passenger. This wire was solid at first sight, but not so strong (was soft), then i cutted this wire in that place and found there are no wire - only shell. I think that the wire break was due to moisture in the wire and it oxidized.

bisco likes this.
  5. balasu5

balasu5 Junior Member

I have the SKS not recognized problem (including the button press not recognized) for past several weeks in my 2008 prius. It works to start the car while in the slot after entering manually via key slot open. I read several posts and wanted to disconnect 12v battery and connect to get it going (some folks have found this work). When I opened the trunk area I noticed water at the bottom of battery and tire area and some moisture in the driver side hatch area beneath the trim panel. I emptied and dried most of the area I could reach. Since, the 12v disconnect step didn't make any difference (yellowtop optima less than 4 year old), I have now installed a new 12v battery (battery tests ok with multimeter and MFD). Changed brand new cr2032 (measures 3.13v) in both they silver fobs that came with purchase (red led on fob illuminate on the key press - no issues with any button like panic being stuck ). None of these seem to solve the issue.

After several searches, I stumbled upon this thread and since, the OP indicates a wiring issue due to moisture, it rang a bell since, I had moisture issue due to the 'stupid roof crack'!

I am not very sure on which area/wire to check and would really appreciate if I can get some help that can provide hints on the Smartkey ECU to door receiver wire that OP is talking about. Any pics or links on this topic?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would start a new thread and title it 'sks ecu location?'