1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help to troubleshoot the lack of IMA in HAH

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by AccordHybrid07, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AccordHybrid07

AccordHybrid07 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello members,

I had HAH'07 since the summer of 2007.
    The first 20k miles it was beautiful car.
    But after one incident with IMA (without IMA warning light) and the night spent at the dealer my car is not original HAH anymore.
    It is drivable but has very little IMA assist.
    It has 148k miles already.
    I bought Autoenginuity scan tool and started to log some parameters hoping to figure out what is wrong with my car.
    Please check the log for IMA motor torque from IMA battery.
    I looks like very noisy signal once car start to use IMA after initial warm-up period. The positive values are for acceleration the negative values to deceleration. The horizontal axis is a real time in hh:MM:ss.sss format.
    IMA motor most of the time executes what ECU commands to it but sharp spikes are really bother me.
    The car has absolutely no assist from a dead stop up to some speed.
    I will log more parameters later but can someone comment on this one first and maybe give me an idea what parameters to log at the same time.

Attached Files:

2. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Check the Hybrid Cars site - there is a whole thread dedicated to this problem. Does not look good :-(

3. AccordHybrid07

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean this thread? hybridcars. com / forums / defective- ima- and- honda- response

Sorry I can't post a link yet here.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you scan and attach a copy of the work order so we can see what the dealer did?

5. AccordHybrid07

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here you go:

Attached Files:

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am thinking you got the firmware "fix" that reduces the use of the IMA system so that it extends the life of the batteries past the warranty period.

Looking at your workorder, they did do an update. My guess is that is what it is.

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, the PCM reprogramming crippled the IMA system. But it also solves the problem of, do you want an extra 5 mpg, or pay $3000 for a new battery every 50,000 miles? There's really not a lot that you can do about it.

Is there a problem that you have noticed recently? Or was it just that you acquired the AutoEnginuity? I don't know if it is capable of reading individual subpack pair voltages, but that would be what I would focus on. If you have a weak pair of subpacks (sticks, modules, i.e. the 7.2V NiMH batteries), then it is possible that you have even less assist now because IMA is trying to protect the pack.

1 person likes this.
  8. AccordHybrid07

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the software can read voltage from individual pack (total 20 packs in HAH).
    I tested all packs and voltage matched between each without a load. I did not log individual voltages during my trips yet.

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, log those voltages and look at the difference between high and low.