1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, Toyota Denying Battery Warranty!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 05priusowner, Nov 14, 2011.

1. 05priusowner

05priusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius which was bought in the state of NJ and is now registered in CT. At 106K miles all my lights came on in the car and my local Toyota dealership (who I service my car with) told me that my Big (Hybrid) battery had failed. I was told that my car does not meet the 150mile/10yr warranty and it would be almost 5K to fix. I now have a claim open and they are telling me that I do not meet it either. I am so confused right now, I live in CT which recognized California Emissions and my 2005 Warranty book says that I should be covered because I live and have the car registered in CT. Am I missing something???

I was also told by my local Toyota that my car was in the 10% of 2005 Prius cars which was not made with this emissions, but my sticker under my hood says that I meet Calfornia standards. But Toyota Customer Care is saying that it is CT which set the standard that my car doesn't meet, which is it??????

First, has anyone else had to deal with this problem and second, is it possible that Toyota made a percentage of their 2005 Prius cars to not meet the PZEV standard and why would Toyota do that to their premier hybrid????

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is NJ mentioned in warranty booklet for 10 year/150K HV battery warranty eligibility?

3. 05priusowner

05priusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, NJ is also in the same warranty book. At first I was told it was how the car was made, then I was told it was when CT adopted the law and now I am getting a mixture of both said to me. I also called the California Resources Air Board and they said that I shouldn't be denied for this warranty.

4. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold on right there! Traction battery failures (the big battery) are few and far between. Before going off the deep end...What is the status of your 12v battery? If it is original, the odds are good that it is what is causing all the problems.

Check this thread first: Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery

1 person likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^ Yep. I would also wait until the car has been left for many hours or overnight before checking it.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting case. Presumably, Toyota is using the argument that the warranty only applies to model year 2008 and newer, since that is when CARB was adopted there.

By the way, you do NOT have to pay $5K, if it comes to that. PC user jdenenberg lives in CT and had someone install a ReInvolt battery for him, total cost was what, $2100?

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If CT adopted CARB only in 2008, why does the warranty booklet from 2005 include CT in the 150k/10yr warranty ?

Sounds to me like OP has a decent argument, assuming the warranty booklet is read correctly. I have always thought that the source document for the warranty contract is that little booklet.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to the 2007 data from the Maryland Department of The Environment, your vehicle does not qualify. Your 2005 is too old because the model years the law effects are 2009 in NJ where it was sold and 2008 in Connecticut where it is registered now. A 2005 meets neither of these model year requirements.

I would agree to check simple causes like a 12v failure before spending too much time chasing HV battery ghosts. East coast driving should be no problem for 105k miles. Me-thinks you have another issue and this is just a symptom of something else.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Crap, screwed it up on that one. So much for doing internets research. If the car has only been registered in NJ or CT and never anywhere else, then there's no excuse.

For California specification vehicles sold, registered, and operated in California, Connecticut (starting with ’05 MY), Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire (starting with ’05 MY), New
    Jersey (starting with ’05 MY), New York, Oregon (starting with ’08 MY), Pennsylvania* (starting with ’08 MY), Rhode Island (starting with ’05 MY), and Vermont, this repair is covered under the California Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 180 months or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Adoption is different then when it takes effect. Consider if they adopted a new law forbidding white socks tomorrow. Well that wouldn't be fair to consumers who only have white socks, stores which currently only stock white socks, or similar situations. So they say "no more white socks in 2014" and it gives people time to prepare.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    2k, the table you posted earlier has an asterisk * that says the effective date is for GHG compliance; we are talking PZEV emissions here.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood my post. If Toyota's 2005 warranty booklet says CT and NJ cars are eligible for the PZEV warranty, that should have legal standing.

Obviously, IANAL

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May be for GHG, may be for full compliance, may be for any compliance. I don't currently have the time to read each of those statutes and figure out when the PZEV effective date was, but basically it is murky water between the adoption date and effective date unless you read the law. And a MY 2005 might have been built in 2004 which would mean it wouldn't count anyways, even murkier.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This interpretation of this chart cannot be correct, as it would indicate that my MY2010 in Washington State carries the 10year/150k battery warranty. But my warranty booklet, page 24, shows that WA and PA get a separate weaker warranty than the other CARB states, and don't get the longer battery warranty.

14. 05priusowner

05priusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to call the dealer today and see if they can take a second look at the other battery, but they have not been very helpful with this entire situation and I think it is mainly because they have never seen it before.

Also, I personally think that Toyota should of never put in there 2005 Warranty book that CT was covered under California Emissions Warranty, that seems like a huge mistake on their part if they never intended on honoring it. Several people have told me that I should start filing compliants because we are going on 14 days of no straight answers.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It sounds like Toyota really didn't learn from their fiasco of two years ago. Mr Toyoda, where are you?!

Maybe it's time for a lawyer.

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What do the corporate people tell you? Have you tried them? 800-331-4331

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a second opinion--maybe ask that they replace the 12V and retest just to be sure--esp. if your 12V is the original.

Contact Toyota customer care, yourself, directly if you have not already. They tend to be pretty good when these cars are just barely out of warranty (which it appears you are).

Reinvolt is a good option, later, if none of the above pans out for you and it really is the traction battery that is bad--but I'm pretty skeptical of that myself.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mr. Toyoda apologized in front of congress for a successful Detroit FUD and misinformation campaign surrounding brakes.

If he is invited back, it should be only to apologize to him for our abject behaviour.

[​IMG]

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Addendum: apologies for the annoying non-link that is popping up in some of my posts. I am still unsure what the cause is. I am starting to suspect a picture of a small magnifying glass I sometimes see in the edit box.

20. 05priusowner

05priusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update, spoke with dealership manager who said that a regional service team was in to look at a troubled Prius, but couldn't confirm it was mine. I then got a call back 1 hr later and was given several apologies and a promise to have my battery replaced fully covered by Friday. They still claim that my Prius is made with 50 state emissions, but that apparently doesn't cover CA which is still confusing. I can only hope to be able to keep this car going for another 100000 miles with no other major issues.

To the person who asked About Customer Care, I did have a claim open for the last ten days and they have been no help, the only answer I have recieved from him is that he is still doing research and will get back to me 1 business day, which has led to another and another.

1 person likes this.