1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Traction Battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drmanny3, Dec 28, 2011.

1. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I have a friend who has not driven his 2005 for about 2 years. Would you expect his traction battery and his aux battery to be dead? Is there a way to kick start a traction battery? Or is he in big trouble?
    Thanks,
    Manny

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Why do people let their cars sit around like that?) Probably one or both are now flat. Try a simple jump start to the 12V battery: if that doesn't work it will have to be towed to a Toyota dealer to have the traction battery jumped with their proprietary charger.

3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Other than a hybrid letting the car sit is not that big a deal - worst case is a new 12 volt and instead of picking 1 of 3 fairly expensive options you can hit any Walmart or Sears and get something that will work.

Back in school the battery in my '78 Volvo 245 went - instead of replacing it I just made sure to park on a hill so I could roll start it - I think I did this for close to 2 months before going home and asking for a new battery for Christmas (just what my Mom wanted to put under the tree).

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes, as Richard says, you can try jumping the 12v, but honestly, I'd stick a known good one in there. Then just see what happens, I've never heard of anyone letting it sit for that long. Toyota's always said "up to 6 months" for how long the traction can go w/o being used/charged. But who knows, maybe it will hold charge for 2 years--or at least enough to get it running. It has probably shortened the life of the traction battery somewhat even if it will charge back up.

Please let us know what happens, this is a pretty interesting situation.

BTW, good luck with getting the dealer to charge it up, my bet would be they'll suggest replacement if it got that depleted then just sat there b/c they'll suspect it's irreparably damaged by being drained for that long.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 12V is a complete and total loss.

The car might start with a new 12V, but it is maybe 50/50 that the hybrid battery has not self-discharged to the point that it has the energy to start the car. There is a guy somewhere in LA that does mobile hybrid battery repair that could probably help get it charged for cheaper than the dealer.

But your problems do not stop there. You probably will find stuck/rusted valves in the engine, bad gas (add Stabil first), and other problems due to the fact that it sat for two years.

Pray to the car gods.

2 people like this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep and the tires might also have flat spots now.

Bad idea. People who do that may as well loan their car to somewhere on occasion or sell it (due to depreciation + aforementioned problems). There are a bunch of small startups (I forget the names) which lets you make a bit of money by renting out your car (sort of like Zipcar, except that you own the car). That'd be an alternative.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so how did it work out??