1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help! treating ballpoint pen marks on inside door panel fabric

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by topoisomerase, Apr 5, 2010.

1. topoisomerase

topoisomerase New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

a toddler drew a few lines with black ballpoint pen on the gray inside fabric panel of one of my back doors. any ideas as best to proceed with trying to treat these stains? i know with clothing that hairspray is a good option but was afraid to start there without asking here first. i didn't see anything applicable on the forums after searching a bit.

thanks for any advice you can offer!
    -t

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If not that, as we may be dealing with a chemist here :) limonene and anionic surfactants. Along with asplash of water.

4. Postea

Postea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think that the first thing that I would do is look up the manufacturer of the ball point pen on the web. Then I would call their customer service number and ask them what is the best cleaner to use. If for some reason you can't contact the company, I would stop by my regular dry cleaners. It seems like they must have to remove ball point pen from shirts every day. The guy who owns my local dry cleaner is very friendly. He would probably go out an look at the door with me. Good luck. Please post what you find out.

5. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Spray some hair spray in an innocuous part of your vinyl. That seems to work as well as anything else I have ever used, but you obviously have to make sure that it doesn't bleach out your vinyl.

6. topoisomerase

topoisomerase New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks for all your suggestions! to clarify, the pen is on the fabric part of the door panels.

7. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One of the best products for this is, surprisingly, Toyota Fabric Spot Remover. I've used it to remove pen "explosion" from a uniform shirt, even!