1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help w/archiving URLs/articles you see by submitting them to the Wayback Machine

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, May 26, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    PSA: help w/archiving URLs/articles you see by submitting them to the Wayback Machine

One frequent problem I've noticed is that many posts which point to URLs w/more info (like some of mine) end up having URLs that point to dead links. They go dead for a # of reasons: content aged off the server, content moved, content is removed, site goes away, etc.

I think it'd be helpful that when posting links to also submit them to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Just paste the URL and click Latest. It'll eventually get picked up, unless the server has a robots.txt file set up to exclude it.

That way, in the future, if we/people ever come across old posts w/dead links, they have a chance to still see the content by visiting Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Google and Bing caches won't necessarily cut it as content gets aged off there too.

I've been tending to do that for URLs in my new posts and some of my older ones, as I come across them.