1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help w/ Crossovers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nikkiusaf, Jun 19, 2006.

1. nikkiusaf

nikkiusaf New Member

I went ahead and replaced my non JBL speakers with the Infinity Kappas that are so popular on these boards. I probably should have paid attention to the tweeter construction, because the Kappas are metal and I prefer the sound of silk tweeters. It's too late now, but I hate the way the tweeters sound; they sound like knives in my brain. The bass response from these speakers is too weak to balance them. I'm pretty unhappy with the way they sound currently.
    I know the crossovers have the +3db and 0db switches on them, which setting would help with turning down the tweeters? I just don't know what the decibel level refers to......

Thanks,
    NIKKI

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nikkiusaf @ Jun 19 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]273367[/snapback]</div>
    You'll want the 0db setting. The +3db setting on the cross-over actually results in more output from
    the tweeter (that you're thinking is already overly harsh). What you probably want is a -3db setting, which
    it doesn't have, but which could be achieved using a resistor. Alternatively, you can adjust the sound
    coming from the tweets by fooling around with how they are aimed....off axis vs. on axis response....
    I know the factory pillar-mount housings are fixed, but you can play around with how the tweets are seated in the housings........yet another option is to tweak the EQ settings or add an EQ (if you're using an outboard amp). Hope you find a sound that works.