1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help wanted with seat cover issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pmanza, Feb 24, 2009.

1. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am dual posting cause I know this forum is looked at more than the MOds forum. I posted a detailed question about seat cover modifications over there if anyone could take a peek and help I would be very appreciative!!!!
    Thanks Fernsmom:p

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted this in the other thread too. Take a look at galaxee's photo of GT seat covers on her Prius. It shows how and where GT did the flap for the side airbag.

3. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Tom I thought I had seen that picture before, just couldn't remember whose seat it was on. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing to the covers I bought. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be safe but wanted to check in with some others. After all, I don't want to risk my life or my families just to save a few bucks. On the other hand, if it is safe then I DO want to save a few bucks.

Thanks again
    Fernsmom;)

4. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anybody else have any thoughts on the safety of my proposed mod to the sheepskin seat covers BEFORE I take the scissors to them?

I sure appreciate all thoughts. It sure is soft and cushy though.
    Fernsmom:confused:

5. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Just a thought: if you are somehow planning to do that flap from sheepskin it may be too much for the bag to push out versus the materials shown?

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A company here who make sheepskin seat covers make a seat cover for vehicles fitted with side airbags, the whole side of the seat cover is completely open.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, I think it's fine to do the flap the way GT does it.

It's not as if the flap is so heavy and stiff that it'll block an exploding airbag from shooting out. Doesn't matter whether the flap is cloth like the GT cover, real sheepskin, or fake sheepskin (as I assume yours are -- for $69 I assume that only the center seat and seatback panels are real sheepskin).

Instead of velcro, I would use a little double sided scotch tape to keep the flap in place. Or you might not need to use anything at all.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea, I was thinking cut the flap and stitch it up with thin cotton and well spaced stitches.