1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Weird battery problems--lights ON but car won't start!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lizgold, Nov 29, 2007.

1. lizgold

lizgold New Member

Help! I'm having a really weird problem with our 2002 Prius. We've been having problems starting the car lately--sometimes it would start right up. Other times, I'd have to take the key out, make sure radio was off, etc., and then it would start. Also, if we were parked and the gas engine was off and just the electric on, the screen would flicker & sometimes go off or do weird stuff.

Took it in, they tested the 12v battery & trickle-charged it, said it was fine. Nevertheless, the car went dead. So I ordered a replacement battery here--it was actually a Mazda battery with an "upgrade" kit.

So we put the battery in, connect the cables, and... the car headlights come on, but no dash lights and car won't start! <_<

We messed with the connections, and then the horn came on and stuck! Yikes! But still no dash lights & no ignition!!!! :blink:

To get all this to stop, we had to disconnect the cables... and it's dark now anyway, so can't do anything till tomorrow.

So... what do you think, guys? Is this a short? Is it a problem with the hybrid battery (God forbid)? Anybody out there have anything like this happen?

Thanks....

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Before all this started was the traction battery state of charging good? On the screen what was the charge level looking like? That might have warned you the traction battery (The big $$$) was going out on it. I'm hoping it will at least allow you to perform this: Insert the key like your going to start the car BUT DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE---JUST TAP THE START BUTTON TWICE. NO FOOT ON BRAKE. That puts the car into IGN mode. All dash lights and multi function screen should come on but car does NOT start. Toggle the screen to the state of charge screen and what do the charge level bars look like? And what color are the bars? This will tell you the charge level on the big battery. The expensive one. If it will not allow even the dash lights to come on in IGN your hosed. That would mean a very dead or disconnected hybrid battery. Did it throw any alerts previously on the dash...you know red exclamation points. If so it has a failure code stored that the dealer can check. If it does allow IGN to come on & the charge level of the traction battery on the screen is good like a few blue bars then you have very bad problems.Could possibly be a shorted MG motor which is essentially the starter motor issue but not sure about all the other electrical issues. Bad main harness? BTW, both MG1 & MG2 are part of the transmission or power split device. Also what is the condition of the trans fluid? When was it changed last? You didn't happen to notice a loud whining sound coming from the front of the car when you were driving did you? That sound portends a failing motor/generator (MG).
    The little battery you had checked does very little. Boots up the computer really. The big battery does it all. I would check the charge bar level if you can and let the experts weigh in here tonight. I just read alot but there's peeps on here who really know there stuff with this car.Good Luck!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    no go

On Liz' Prius model there is no start button. You really have to turn a real key.

Weak 12 volt battery, or it with intermittent connections can cause many strange things as she noticed. As the battery was just replaced (and presumed good), I suggest looking for intermittent or corroded connections.

Ed mentions sveral other matters that might turn out to be involved, but we must begin by confirming that the 12 volt is doing everything it is supposed to do.

4. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't mean to sound too simplistic, but the terminals on that WestCo(fits Mazdas) battery are not marked well after the protective caps come off. Also, to make that Mazda-compatible battery go in a Prius correctly, the "front" of the battery has to face away from you, in other words, backwards. Maybe get a good flashlight and see if the battery's + and - connections match properly.