1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! What have I bought?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by psantangeli, Feb 3, 2007.

1. psantangeli

psantangeli New Member

I just bought a 2004 Prius, and so far am thrilled with the car. I haven't identified which exact package it is, but it has the nav system, JBL stereo, and bluetooth phone support (which works fine with my Treo650 :))

It also has had what looks to be a sat radio installation done to it. And done quite poorly it seems from the damage the person did to the dashboard vents when he/she did it. So I'm sure it was an amateur job.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly was put in, because it is odd to say the least.

There is what looks to be a Sirius-style sat antenna on the back of the car. Ok.... no problem. But here is where it gets wierd:

There are 3 cable run into the little cubby below the cd changer. There is what looks to be a tiny RG6-style cable, that I assume is the other end of the antenna. There is also a 12 volt line that runs back into the dash and comes out with a regular 12 volt adapter beside the 12 volt plug in the footwell.

Finally, there is a TWO connector teeny-weeny audio plug. Like a mono headset jack. I seems to be the same size as the audio connector for my Treo, but only mono.

This is puzzling to me. There is no way it can be transmitting stereo on that thing, so it must be some kind of control cable. But Controlling what? The radio certainly does not indicate any kind of sirius radio is hooked up.

Any ideas? I actually have little interest in Sirius, so I'm tempted to yank it all out, as long as I can figure out how to take the antenna off the back. I'm kind of scared what is behind the dash though.

As a follow up question, The person really did screw up the vent to the right of the steering wheel (the on/off control is actually punched into the dash and broken). Anyone know of a wrecker that has Prius dash parts? :-(

Pete

2. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psantangeli @ Feb 4 2007, 12:01 AM) [snapback]385019[/snapback]</div>
    That'll connect to the FM Out port on a Sirius (and probably XM) plug-and-play radio. If you get at the back of the radio, you'll find the other end of that wire going into a small box that sits between the FM antenna and the radio. When the sat radio is plugged in, that box will disconnect the radio's antenna and connect the sat radio's FM modulator. You'd then tune the car's radio to whatever frequency the sat radio is set to transmit on. (and yes, it is stereo audio)