1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, which error code is correct?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by terry2336, Jun 7, 2010.

1. terry2336

terry2336 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 weeks ago I took my 2005 Prius to my local dealer to have the accelerator pedal reworked under the current recall. About a week later I started getting the check engine light coming on. the light went out the next day and stayed off 48 hours then came back the following day.
    I took the car to an Autozone franchise and they checked the error code for me. It read P1121, Accelerator Pedal sensor. The light went off and on again in the next couple of days.
    I took the car back to the dealer and they got the same error number, P1121. they said that it was "Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor, Circuit Stuck."
    It sounds rather fishy to me since this would be a multi hundred dollar repair.
    Any ideas out there?

2. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    P1121 is actually the coolant flow control valve DTC that the Toyota tech suggested.

Not all DTC codes mean the same thing for all vehicles (EG: For the Ford Focus, P1121 means electronic throttle problem whereas on another vehicle it means throttle position sensor failure--on the Prius, it's coolant valve related).

A coolant valve problem would also be consistent with the behavior you mentioned.

Andrew

3. bhawley

bhawley New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I could have wrote this exact post myself! I just took my 04 Prius in for a checkup at 90k miles and had the pedal recall done, then within 50-100 miles I got the check engine light with the same code. Took it to Autozone and they told me the same info about the pedal sensor. When I searched here I saw it was the coolant sensor. I was on my way to California this weekend when it came on and during my trip the CEL turned on and off a few times.

Did you resolve the issue or get any new info on the problem? Every time I take my car to a dealer something major breaks within a couple weeks. Last time it was the inverter coolant pump. Another reason I usually do my own maintenance.

4. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My bentley prius manual agrees with your dealer...P1121...Coolant flow control valve...