1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Wife stuck on side of road in '06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cbs4, Jan 27, 2006.

1. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Just got a call from my wife, who is currently stuck on the side of the road with her 06 Prius. I don't have the manual (as it's in the car) and I don't have a clue why the car won't go.

She says "it has plenty of gas in the tank." She says the "VSC" light is flashing.

On edit: Turns out, HER definition of "plenty of gas in the tank" differs substantially from mine (and the rest of the world's) definition. HER definition is "well, when the empty light was blinking last week, I went another day and a half before I got gas..." :rolleyes: So to HER, that meant she had plenty of gas.

When I got to her and her car, the empty light was blinking. Unfortunately, I didn't get to her before the tow truck did, so I had to pay for the tow truck too, as I finally caught up to her at the dealership where she had been towed to.

Now, back to the rest of the old (obsolete) post:

A red triangle is flashing, and the check engine light is on.

Car with an exclamation

So far, I've told her to hobble the car entirely off of the road to safety at an exit.

I then asked her to call work and tell them that she would be late (to the most important sales meeting of the new year, btw).

I then asked her to completely shut off the car, lock it, and walk away (out of the SKS range) in order to fully cycle the power/computer etc. She did, and the same problems appear.

I finally asked her to dig out the owner's manual and call me...

She's got the manual in hand and it says to take it to the nearest Toyota dealer immediately.

Should she drive it there? Or have it towed?

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Call the closest dealership. Since it's still under warranty it's really their problem. It's only fair to ask them how the car should transported to them for analysis.

Does the car move at all? ICE run?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You could have her cycle the power a few times. SLOWLY. Not off-on-off-on-off-on. Rather: off . . . on . . . off . . . on . . .

In same cases of weird lighting, cycling the power clears the error queue. Unfortunately, this also clears any error codes and any hopes of decyphering those codes.

In the one hand is the sales meeting and in the other hand are the error codes.

4. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the car to know what ICE means.

What is ICE?

We have contacted the nearest Toyota dealer, and they gave us the number to a tow company.

I've now asked her to read the manual about the proper way to tow a Prius.

Is the big shipping hook that is removed upon deliver necessary to reinstall for towing?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it needs to be towed on a flat-bed...not by the wheels.

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

The ICE is the Internal combusion engine...the main gas engine.

6. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    NO. forget that hook, it's for someone to pull you out of the mud. They'll tow it like they tow any other car, except up on a flatbed. Start treating it like any other car, get the tow to the dealership, and just prepare yourself mentally for your wife's tirade.

Oh yeah... ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine.

7. unruhly

unruhly New Member

The ICE is just an abbreviation used here for Internal Cumbustion Engine.
    The VSC (Vehicle Stability Control), so I've been told, can damage Hybrid components if bypassed or if it malfuntions.

I wouldn't worry about putting the shipping hook/ring back on. The tow truck driver will have the necessary equipment.

Please inform us of what they tell you at the Toyota Dealer, and wether or not it is a simple fix.

Thanks and Good Luck!

8. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Well, now the phone in her car won't work... I can no longer reach her.

Now I have to leave work immediately (so now both of us are loosing the income we need to help pay for the Prius, and get in my reliable ExxonValdez of a GMC YukonXL that has never left me stuck on the side of the road, and go rescue her.

I'll sign off for now. Thanks for the help, and I'll keep you informed.

BTW, she was depleted in tears when we last spoke, so I don't think she will even have the energy for a tirade.

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

which dealer is she getting towed to?

10. cbs4

cbs4 Member

My fellow Prius owners:

Turns out, HER definition of "plenty of gas in the tank" differs substantially from my (and the rest of the world's) definition.

HER definition is "well, when the empty light was blinking last week, I went another day and a half before I got gas..." :rolleyes:

So to HER, that meant she had plenty of gas.

When I got to her and her car, the empty light was blinking. :angry: Unfortunately, I didn't get to her before the tow truck did, so I had to pay for the tow truck too :( , as I couldn't catch up to her until after she and her car had already been deposited (via flatbed tow) at the dealership where she had been towed to.

I gathered her, her belongings, and my composure, and spirited her off to her sales meeting that by this time she was 2 hours late to, leaving the empty Prius at the dealership.

Then, I had to find a place to buy an empty jerry can for gas. That was a journey in and of itself that would choke the bandwidth of this site, so I won't go into it.

Then I had to intoxicate myself with gas fumes while carting the full gas can inside my car to the dealership. Then this new fangled so-called "spill-proof" container turned out to be anything but spill proof, saturating my hands, the side of the Prius, splashing on the ground, back onto my pants, shoes, what a mess. The "spill proof" nozzle doesn't pour without being depressed, and once depressed, it dribbles everywhere, while a small percentage of gas makes it into the tank.

The Prius Certified tech, the one who confirmed that the diagnositc trouble code that triggered the check engine light was indeed "ran out of fuel," took one look at my latest and greatest EPA approved jerry can and immediately turned around to get a funnel. He said "those new cans SU_K", and advised me to remove the nozzle altogether.

But now I had the choice to wash residual transmission fluid down into the fuel tank from his well used funnel. And on it went...

After delivering her refueled Prius to her workplace and dropping off the keys with the office staff, (deftly avoiding meeting her face to face and revealing my inner cauldron made all the more volitile by the fumes that lingered on my skin), I began calculating the cost per gallon of what was salvaged from the spill-proven can on my WALK back to the dealership to pick up my car (the shuttle driver vaporized faster than the spilt gas on the ground).

With the towing, the new can (which I just gave to the dealership), the cleaning bill, my time lost at work, her time and reputation lost at work, oh, and the gas itself, I figured I paid well over $200.00 per gallon to bring her tank with "plenty of gas" up to a level where the Prius was driveable again.

So, I post this to assure Prius owners as well as would be purchasers of the Prius that my wife was not mysteriously stranded by her new Prius.

She is mysterious though.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    aww, what a crappy day!

well... at least the car's not broken... and you had priuschat to vent... :ph34r:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its funny that back when there was reports of Priuses suddenly stalling at freeway speeds... i guess a good percentage of the reports were from people running out of gas.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error."

A particularly vivid demonstration that the flashing pip means "buy gas now, dammit".

14. vega

vega New Member

Can someone please elaborate why a Prius needs to be towed on a flatbed and not like any other car?
    I think that maybe a concern, becauase most of the tow trucks that I see on the road have a hook to tow but don't really have a flatbed to carry an entire car.

PS:
    Have been a fly on the wall for quite some time. First post here. Hoping to get my 06 #4 Silver Prius soon!

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The danger in towing with the front wheels on the ground is that certain transaxle components will spin too fast and be damaged. This can happen above about 42 MPH going forward or at *any* speed going backwards. These components cannot be disengaged from the front wheels (in other words, shifting into "N" won't help).

Read the owner's manual carefully. Best tip for new owners: when the last bar on the fuel gauge starts to flash, it means "buy gas now, dammit".

16. vega

vega New Member

Thanks Richard.
    I also found out elsewhere that for all-wheel drives as well as 4-wheel drives flatbed towing is the only option. Almost all luxury car makers mandate flatbed towing.
    That is nice to hear because it alleviates my concern that, if in the rare chance I need to tow a Prius, the towing companies will not be equipped to do it :)

17. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Well, in the last day I settled from still simmering in the afternoon, to silently civil by evening, and back to my lovesick syrupy self again by this morning.

That's when she wisely waited to explain to me her fueling logic, which I couldn't help but notice is strangely similar to the rest of you Prius owners from what I read here.

Some sort of OCD behavior seeps into a Prius driver, where otherwise balanced, rational, and reasonably intelligent human beings become compulisively obsessed with streching gas mileage to the nth possible degree.

I read about it here all the time... the Prius foot, how many miles per tank, will mudflaps cost me 1/100 of a mile per gallon, etc.

Well, it appears that this same disease has set into my wife's psyche. And it only took 24 days to metastisize to the epic proportion of leaving her stranded on the side of the road.

She explained it this morning to me thus:

Her minimum goal it to get 500 miles per tank, as that is what she has obtained so far (approximately 49 to 55 miles per gallon). Yesterday morning, she had only travelled 468 miles on that tank of gas, so she assumed that she should at least be able to travel another 32 miles before needing gas again.

Now that is a sickness.

When I bought the Prius, I had no idea this car infected people in this manner. I might have thought twice about surprising her with a gift that would take control of her mind. Epecially when I've been trying to control her mind for the last 20 years... without getting anywhere near the results that this Prius has managed to affect in the last 20 days.

I don't drive the car, can't really fit into it comfortably with a 30" long femur bone, so I haven't been infected yet.

But this incident certainly supports the explanation of why so many Prii have been reported to be on the side of the road... without gas.

"But I had only gone 468 miles, and I should at least be able to get 500 miles...."

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Dear cbs4. Your tale, upon first read was a sad tale indeed. Then when I got to the end I realized $200/gallon of gas was CHEAP considering the points you have 'banked' vis-a-vis your wife. Not too many men get to earn laying on their back and being fed peeled grapes for a whole MONTH so 'easily'. Milk it, baby!

19. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Funny when I see the LOW FUEL warning in any car I get frantic to get the gas -- usually only to find out I could have gone longer (tank capacity vs fill amount). From what I read regarding Prius fill ups, there is always chance that the tank won't accept gas to capacity cited because of bladder and filling technique. This is a problem when I want to accurately figure out my mpg and also because in NJ we are at mercy of station attendants to fill our tanks (can't self serve in NJ).

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So far I've managed to keep this affliction away. I always have filled up when the gauge showed 1/4 tank. No reason to stretch the gas. There is no shortage. You don't get any bonus points for running it that close to the edge. There is no extreme Prius driving, seeing if you can drive till it's just about to sputter. Just silly.