1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help wird trans problems wont go over 25 acts like its sliping

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jbleon83, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jbleon83

jbleon83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi I bought a 2001 prius with 169,000 miles. It runs good most of the time but some of the time it acts up. It is wired I know that is why I hope someone else has had a simmler problem. First off Let me say I am not a great speller so bare with me. When this car acts up it dose 1 of 2 thing eather the brake light comes on and the car wont go about 25 but it like its locked in gear and dosn't want to shift as opposed to problem 2. Like its stuck in first gear amost. I already know that prius dosn't have shift point and it uses a special trans I am just try to describe the problem. Anyway the 2nd thing is it acts like its slips like the the engine gets louder like it is reving higher and the car starts to move but something is just not write. To top things off the strangest this is that if you turn the car off and back on the problem gose away and its some time it dosn't douplicate the problem some time it dose. Please help I am clueless and I took it to the dealer and they cannt douplicate the problem. Please please help me.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you are having a problem with the hybrid vehicle ECU (electronic control unit), which is responsible for controlling the two motor generators in the transaxle as well as providing signals to the engine ECU regarding the power required from the gasoline engine. Do any warning lights appear on the instrument panel or the MFD (multifunction display)?

If the check engine light comes on or any warning icons in the MFD appear, then DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) should be logged by one or more of the Prius ECUs. Your dealer should be able to retrieve the DTC to provide a hint about what is wrong with your car.

Does the car have an accident or other damage in its history? Flaky electrical connections can cause unusual symptoms to appear.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post hurts to read. I gave up. People will help if they can read your post and you take 3 seconds to fix your spelling. When your writing your post the underlined words in red are misspellings....just right click on them and they will suggest the right spelling. You never know...it might help fix your car.

4. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I concur.

5. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately it won't catch those nasty homonyms. I would cut him some slack.

On topic: It definitely sounds like a computer problem.

6. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    .... Kinda like how your reply's first "your" is misspelled (should be "you are" or "you're" ). Not to mention a comma splice, missed period, and lack of a space elsewhere--but who's counting....

Cut him some slack. He already stated his spelling was not that good. No one forced you to read it.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any better? Was easier to correct that write a grading essay about the post.