1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with '08 Nav Speed Wire hack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Karlos, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Karlos

Karlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After lots of searching and research through these forums and Darrell's EV page, I attempted the Nav speed wire hack....without success.

I removed the vent panel to the right of the MFD to access the wiring block shown in Darrell's photos. The wiring on my 2008 is different than what is in the photo. Rather than the Nav speed wire (pin 5 of N2) located where the photo shows, mine was located a few positions up.

I cut the upper purple wire and installed my switch. It has no effect on the Nav or Bluetooth in either switch position.

Has anyone out there done this on an '08 ???? Which wire do I intercept? I'd like to use the same wiring block since it is easy to get to. I'm not sure if Darrell's access through the dash speaker will expose a Nav speed wire. He did his for the Bluetooth and music, I believe.

Help please!

Karl
    2008 Prius

2. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why not just buy a coastal lockpick basic for $100?

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A 555 timer, 2 resisters, a cap and a switch cost less than $15

4. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and the cost when you short something out because you don't know what to do=priceless

5. Karlos

Karlos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually enjoy doing these mods....and I like keeping the cost down. The Prius Chat community is usually quite supportive of that. I'm looking for the schematics for an '08 wiring block located at the air conditioning vent located to the right of the Nav system.

Your comments are not really helpful or cute.

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's just it, I know what I'm doing. A lockpick won't work on GenIII. For Gen III, Prestigious Society is the only option. At $299.49, it's really steep. I'll stick to my own mod. It works exactly the same. As for the OP, build your circuit and test it out with an oscilloscope so you can see it on graph how the pulse look like. I think Gen II and Gen III's are the same, 4 pulse per mph.
    As for which wire it is, I can't help you with that. For Gen III is the violet wire. I would imagine the Gen II is the same. When you cut this wire, the speed info on the nav unit should show 0 even when traveling.