1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Alignment - F/R Camber way off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mshl726, Jan 11, 2015.

1. mshl726

mshl726 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've seen a few discussions on Prius alignment issues but wanted to get your collective take. I did my alignment last week (see picture) after putting on 17" FRS wheels/tires with 3mm spacers. My camber is incredibly off. Front is less severe but the shop said neither front or rear were adjustable within spec. The car hasn't been in any major accidents nor is it lowered. I've never seen stock alignment so far off just from driving around (albeit Los Angeles roads are harsh).

Would you recommend I get both a front and rear camber kit installed? This is a new shop for me so not sure about their ability to do the rear shim install properly. Should I get a second opinion on the alignment in case the shop did a bad job? Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    This has the potential for an interesting thread as compared to those asking what color should I buy, or how often should I do an oil change.

Google "do wheel spacers affect alignment" and you'll find this question asked and answered numerous times with responses both yes and no. I would be curious to see what the readings would be without the spacers. If they are the same, then you have a problem with the car or with the operator of the alignment equipment.

I am not an alignment tech, so am ready to bow to the thoughts of an expert.

3. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should have another shop measure your alignment.
    If the camber angles on the printout are correct, the misalignment would be visible when looking at the car, and your old tires would have had obvious uneven wear between the inboard and outboard ribs.

4. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah something is weird because the front axle, one side is positive and one side is negative. Also the toe is off in such a way that it seems like they didn't have the steering wheel straight when doing the measurements. Wheel spacers would affect both sides' camber equally, ie both too positive or both too negative. If they do indeed have the steering wheel straight, then the toe is probably set fine just need to adjust one side in and one side out to make the wheels' straight-ahead position match the steering wheel's straight-ahead position.

Also, if anything is changed (toe for sure, possibly camber), a scan tool will be needed to theset the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) setting for "steering straight ahead". This is necessary to ensure the car knows when you're going straight vs a gradual curve. Ask about this and if they don't understand, go elsewhere. Most Toyota dealers aren't outrageous for alignment and automatically do this as well.

5. mshl726

mshl726 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks everyone. I think we'll take it in for another alignment at the dealership or a reputable shop and ask about the spacers. Will report back with an update.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just for your info., in my experience, Toyota vehicles seem to have a problem with camber being wrong from the factory. For example, my father had a RAV4 and the rear camber was off so much you could see it. Didn't seem to affect the tyre wear though. When corrected the vehicle ran quieter. ;)