1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with AXXESS ASWC Steering Wheel Control Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fastring, May 22, 2011.

1. fastring

fastring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    I am documenting my stereo install and will post once complete but I am stuck. I am installing the Metra Axxess ASWC universal steering wheel controller.

The instructions make it clear that the ASWC red and black go to ground and power (when ign on). Got it. Less clear are:

RED Ground Pin 6
    BLACK Pin 7
    WHITE Pin 8

Anyone installed one of these that can make it more clear what to connect to what after red and black?

2. fastring

fastring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Ok, figured it out:

On the adapter, the GREEN wire with ORANGE stripe goes to:
    - the wire that is on the prius radio harness were if looking from the front with the connect button on the top, the BLACK wire is the 7th from the left on the top row. If you are connecting this harness to the harness that comes with the SCOCHE 010TA2103B adapter, the SCOCHE adapter turns this to a WHITE wire. The SCOCHE has the resister built in for the AC and has three wires: White, Brown and Black. You connect GREEN/ORANGE from the ASWC to the SCHOCE WHITE (which connects to Prius harness BLACK).

On the adapter, the BLACK wire with GREEN stripe goes to:
    - the wire that is on the prius radio harness if looking from the front with the connect button on top, the WHITE wire is the 8th from teh left on the top row. If connecting to SCOCHE, this turns to BLACK. You connect BLACK/GREEN from the ASWC to the SCHOCE BLACK (which connects to Prius harness WHITE).

The ASWC black goes to radio harness black and ASWC red goes to radio harness red. Full write up to follow.

3. kleinfelter

kleinfelter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did it actually work once you got it installed? I'm having trouble with mine. I wired the ASWC to pins 6 (pink), 7 (red), and 8 (green) on the Toyota connector, per the Axxess instruction sheet.

When the ASWC does its auto-detect sequence, it successfully detects my Pioneer receiver, but it detects only one of the two signal wires. During the LED flash for signal wire detection, it flashes long to show that the ASWC black/green wire is connected (to pin 8), but it does NOT flash long to show that the ASWC Green/Orange is connected (to pin 7).

The unit does complete its auto-detect sequence, and lights the LED to show that it is happy.

I've measured the resistance between ASWC Green/Orange and ground, and confirmed that pressing buttons on the steering wheel DOES change the resistance, so I know I've got a good connection.

At this point, I don't know whether I've got a defective unit, or the ASWC doesn't really work on a 2010 Prius II.

Any suggestions?

4. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but this won't work on the JBL radio system. You'll need a different Metra kit.

6. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI - Make sure you have a REALLY good ground on that ground wire. If you don't then the unit will not work . That happened to me. I recommend grounding to some place metal on the chassis and not just splicing into a ground wire on the harness.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

With the Metra 70-8114, did this allow you to control the all the stereo controls on the steering wheel? Mode, Volume and Up/Down arrows?

8. Galahad999

Galahad999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just a note on the Metra Axxess: I used the Metra Axxess with my 2009 Prius w/ JBL, and the Bluetooth Phone controls on the steering wheel (hangup and pickup phone, and "push to talk" to the NAV system) don't work. According to other posts here, it seems like this is a fact of life with an aftermarket head unit.

9. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mode, volume and up/down favorites and scanning all work.

10. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My push to talk and hangup/pickup do not function for bluetooth either. The hangup/pickup functions like the up/down arrow settings. I understand I can manually program the metra to work correctly but my Pioneer touchscreen is so easy to use for bluetooth functions that I have not bothered to do so.

11. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I left the AXXESS unit to the default settings. I never had a NAV unit on my 2005 Prius. The MODE button changes from FM to AM to CD to AUX to Bluetooth on my JVC head unit.

My only gripe is that the steering wheel tuner button now maps to a seek button rather than the preset change button. Someday I'll try to manually pro

12. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It looks pretty easy to manually program the AXXESS, to get the bluetooth phone buttons to work. Of course it depends on your stereo if you have bluetooth. If not you can program the the bluetooth buttons to do something else that you like. I'll report back next week when my parts come in.

13. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well I ordered the Metra 70-8114 - SWC Harness w/RCA and It did not match up to the factory plug so it was useless. I had to cut my factory wires for the steeringwheel controls and wire them up to the Axxess Unit.

Then I began trying to manually program the buttons. I have the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS (has bluetooth and HD radio). I attempted to set up the bluetooth call buttons to what the Axxess installation guide called "pick up" and "hang up". But the Pioneer didn't respond to those signals at all. So then I went back to the default settings which had the bluetooth phone buttons change the preset stations up or down, which is handy enough.

14. Big Tex

Big Tex New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius with the JBL system, and I want to put in an aftermarket head unit but still have steering wheel control. What is the other kit you are referring to?

15. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you might want to call crutchfield. they should have everything you need, and will send you instructions for the install, plus they have a help line to talk you through the install if you're having difficulties.

16. CptnDriveThru

CptnDriveThru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just read through this post and was glad to see that there's a way to map the steering wheel bluetooth controls to an aftermarket stereo's bluetooth controls. Has anyone with an iPhone had any luck mapping any of the steering wheel controls to start up Siri? It would seem that if the head unit supported Siri Eyes Free or CarPlay then it would be possible.

17. Big Tex

Big Tex New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I still haven't bought stuff for mine yet, but I really want to be able to map the Prius voice control button to Siri. I hope the kit allows that.

18. Bofronado

Bofronado New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for some help with SWCs. I installed a Chinese double din unit in my 2008 Prius with the standard radio. I used the Axxess unit to keep my environment SWCs and it worked great for those. The radio head has just one brown wire for the SWCs, so I hooked the brown wire to the brown wire from the Axxess interface, but I am not able to program the SWC buttons for the audio. I suspect that the brown/white wire needs to be hooked to something. This is the unit I bought:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

19. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    steering wheel controls are programmed by resistance of each button. most aftermarket headunits work with only their own protocols.. my 07 non JBL works perfect with the PAC kit, my 09 JBL had to be custom made to control everything due to the GPS controls many of the systems.. it took me days of reverse engineering and it was a complete disaster trying to figure out the system.. I ended up having to rewire the hangup button to be a. -12v for my pioneer to answer remotely.

20. LeroyR

LeroyR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm installing a Pioneer head unit in my 2007 Prius using the Metra adapter kits for the JBL amp and the steering wheel controls. Also using the Metra Prius specific harness for the steering wheel controls Metra Online. I don't want to cut into the pink and white wires to add the 68 Ohm resistor. What I would like to do is find what the pins/contacts are for the 20 pin Metra connector so I can crimp pins onto the resistor or wires attached to the resistor so I can insert the resistor into the empty holes across from the pink and white wires. Does anyone know the brand and part number of those pins/contacts?