1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help with decision on prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Doorknob, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Doorknob

Doorknob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been lurking on this site for a month or so now, trying to figure out the ins and outs of the prius. Thanks to everyone who's posting. I absolutely love the wealth of knowledge shared.

I do not own a prius or any hybrid. This will be my first hybrid vehicle. I've visited a few dealers and test drove a few ranging from 2005 - 2009, 20k miles to 70k miles. I've noticed some big differences in the drive from the high mileage vs low mileage vehicles most likely due to tires and shocks.

Anyhow, I've settled on a 2006 with 40k miles and nav package. I've negotiated down to 14k (dealership). I don't really care for the nav package, but it comes with it. The car drives well and was well maintained. I've reviewed the car fax and toyota owner's forum with the VIN and it looks clean.

So here's the dilemma... 14k before tax and licensing is the best I'm able to do w/ this dealership. I've been watching everyone's posts and seeing some great deals for the same specs (minus nav) for around 11-12k out the door. Any advice? Buy it at 14k or wait? I'm in no hurry as I've got an old car, but I would to replace it while loans are rock bottom. Thanks!

2. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are in no hurry, then you should keep looking.
    I'd check autotrader.com and ebay. The only risk you
    run is that if you have secretly fallen in love with this
    particular car and someone buys it out from under
    you, you'll suffer buyer's regret.

You didn't mention if the dealer in question is a Toyota
    dealer. I sense that Toyota dealers are the least
    flexible, since they have ingrained "no discount"
    attitude from Toyota's many fat years.

If you can find a Prius at, say, a Ford or GM dealer,
    they are more use to dickering. In my own case,
    I bought a used 2009 from a GMC dealer and he
    settled for $2K less than his initial price...a total of
    $4K less than the published KBB value.

Regarding NAV, one good thing about that is that
    usually the accompanying stereo system is a step
    or two up from the basic AM/FM/1-CD.

John

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Back in December, around here, $14K for the car would have been a good price. If you want to spend less then keep looking for a car with a lower option package.

4. Hopopotamus

Hopopotamus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I got my 2005 Prius with 31000mi in august of 09, and the price was 14k. This was before all " problems " with Toyota. I'm sure now u can find one for less but if this is THE PRIUS u were looking for than just go for it u can't go wrong. Paying premium price for the car u want is not that bad if you did all your homework and u checked the battery.
    Good luck hope u start diving best car ever soon.

5. Doorknob

Doorknob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses. I'm not in love with the car at all. It's just a car. :) I like it, but I really don't get attached to cars. I'm just looking for a fair price for the type of vehicle I want.

I'll keep shopping for a few more weeks. I'm not in a hurry, but I would like to stop shopping. Thanks