1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with decision please....VAIS SLI or Dice Silverline question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ualdriver, May 22, 2008.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi guys-

I want to integrate an IPOD with my '08 package 6 Prius (audio only, don't care about video). I think I've done the requisite SLI/DICE research by doing the appropriate searches on this forum. I spent about 45 minutes reading all the threads and the sublinks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've come to these conclusions after having read the threads from the search:

1) Some people like the DICE Silverline, some people like the VAIS SoundLinQ SLI. They both do the same thing and install the same way. It seems to be a matter of personal preference?

2) Both units allow you to control your IPOD (one way or another) through your MFD without having to physically handle your IPOD.

3) Both units charge your IPOD when in use.

4) Both units come with all of the cables that you will need for a complete install.

Assuming the above 4 statements are true, I'm seeing the Silverline here and the VAIS SoundLinQ SLI here. The Silverline is $143.95 and the SLI is $249.99.

If they both basically do the same thing, is there any reason I should pay $100+ more for the SLI? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    ualdriver

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking as someone who has the original DICE unit (not the Silverline, though from what I've read it's not much different), they seem to have some serious quality control issues. Some units work fine, some don't. Some work for a while but flake out periodically. On the other hand, DICE seems more than willing to swap units out as many times as it takes to make you happy. As you noted, the DICE unit is considerably cheaper than just about anything else out there, so you just need to ask yourself if the cost savings is worth the time you may have to spend.

3. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Who exactly do you need to contact at DICE to get your DICE swapped out?

I have been emailing DICE for almost 2 months to get another RGA# to swap mine out and haven't heard from anyone. Vagabond doesn't work for them anymore and neither Adam or Jessie return emails.

I even went as far as to create "a ticket" on the DICE web site to see if anyone would respond from there. No joy there either.

They for sure have some quality issues in both equipment and service.

4. lazysheep

lazysheep New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    currently on the fence also. but i'm probably gonna go with the dice hd radio / ipod kit - it costs about the same as the sli. however, it's currently on backorder as they upgrade the ipod part of the kit to their new silverline series. one of their reps informed me that it'll be about a 2 month wait.

5. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I just ordered the IPOD Silverline kit basically because it was a hundred bucks cheaper than the SLI. They said they shipped it today. Hopefully it works!