1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with "Doc Fee"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bpollard, Jul 6, 2009.

1. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,
    I just put a (in stock) prius on hold today at a dealership. I am wondering about a couple of the fees - please help me as I'm not sure if I am being jerked around.

Prius IV: $25,800.00
    Solar Roof package (includes Nav): $3600
    Floor Mats: $200
    Delivery Fee: $750.00
    Total price of car: $30,350.00

Tax (7%) = $2124.50
    Doc Fee = $276
    NJ Registration and Inspectioin = $299
    Tire = $7.50

Grand total = $33,057.00

So the registration is fine, and I don't know what the tire is for but at $7.50 I don't really care.
    But what is this "Doc" fee? he said that they take care of the "plates registration and title". He later broke down the fee by saying "Clerical fee 182.50 and 93.50 for messenger fee"

Is this fee BS? Do I have much room to bargain? The car is a hot one as NJ hasn't gotten many IV + Solar Panels...
    what is a reasonab fee?
    Please let me know - I pick it up on Thursday.
    Brad

2. LaurieTx

LaurieTx Proud new owner!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I didn't want to hijack that thread by posting more questions - because Doc Fee's wasn't the original intent of the thread.

Any ways, I would be very interested to hear what others have paid, and if my fee is reasonable, etc.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that anything above what the State charges for licensing and registration is technically profit, whether it's denoted as part of the licensing and registration fee or the document fee.

That said, I have no idea what passes as the prevailing "document fee" in New Jersey.

In New York, as far as I can tell, the prevailing "document fee" is around $40.

5. SATCOM

SATCOM New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always refused to pay it, plain and simple. If they want to be "transparent" then they should list the actual cost of tag/license, not a term called "Doc" fee. Pure profiteering.

6. jm1515

jm1515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer did just that, tags & lic came to ~$47...but in addition part of the quote I received was the OH max allowed 'Doc Fee' /pure profit of $250.
    Pure profit, pure and simple:eek:...but from what I can detect it's tacked on in a lot, if not most, dealers............
    I could have negotiated, I guess...but what's a couple hundred between 'friends'...:rolleyes:

7. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doc fee is negotiable.

Dealer in NC said it had to show on invoice for their record so they deducted $299 fee off price of vehicle ('10 V) and added it back as doc fee on paperwork.