1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Dr Prius readout

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nivlatan73, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Nivlatan73

Nivlatan73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Prius gurus,
    Just gotten my 2017 Prius and did a OBD run with Dr Prius and this is what i got. Anyone can confirm my HV batteries need balancing or replacement?

Attached Files:

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 2017 - the HV battery should be just fine till 2027 and longer. About then, here in Australia, they've had a 10 yr, Unlimited km warranty for a couple of years now - so their expectation is that they'll last a long time.

3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would guess your Dr. Prius app was not installed correctly. I doubt that there is anything seriously wrong with your car's HV battery after only 4 years of usage. I believe the app's developer, @jacktheripper, is still active in this forum. Perhaps he can explain why your installation is displaying such odd results.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t think so. See my previous posting about the block voltages; readings of 16 V and 32 V are normal.

davecook89t and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other question - was there something going wrong with it - that made you connect Dr Prius?

6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I see the same pattern in the other member's readout that @Elektroingenieur referenced, but when I run Dr. Prius on my Gen 4, I see 14 blocks having voltages around 16V or so. Is there something about the JDM ECU that causes the blocks not to be properly recognized by Dr. Prius?

Edit: Ok, I see from your posting of the manual info, a block can be defined as 4 modules, rather than only 2, as is the case I am more familiar with.

#6 davecook89t, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There are different versions of the battery management system, depending on the HV battery chemistry. My posting linked above applies to models with a Ni-MH battery (ZVW50 series). Models with a Li-ion battery (ZVW51 series), such as your Four Touring, provide voltage readouts for each of the 56 cells, rather than in blocks. See the Hybrid Battery System (for Lithium-Ion Battery) section of the Repair Manual (more info) and the Powertrain > HV Battery > Data List page in a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system.

alanclarkeau and davecook89t like this.