1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with front mask . . .

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xbdude, Feb 17, 2006.

1. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased a front bra for my '06, and am somewhat mechanically inclined but I'm having a difficult time getting the little clips installed. The piece on the hood went on well (I'm in Florida and it's been hot today). But the instructions call for removal of one plastic fastener (on each side) that holds the fender liner in place. Then, you are supposed to install a spring clip over the fender tab. Next, the instructions say to replace the fender liner over the spring clip and secure it with the screw provided. Well, for some reason that's where I get lost.

Has anyone installed a Toyota-brand front mask on an '06 yet? Hopefully, you can give me some hints.

Thanks

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you found the plastic fastener yet? I don't recall if it had a flat face or whether it was a phillips-head, but it's at the edge of the fender and the fender liner (where they meet) and is slightly forward of the wheel. The center of the plastic clip can be popped out and then the whole clip removed. Once you get the clip out, simply install the metal spring clip (basically a folded piece of spring steel with a hole drilled in it) on the fender's hole where the clip used to be. Next, insert the screw through the fender liner's hole and into the clip (which is over the fender's hole) and tighten the screw. Now that the scerw is installed, you'll notice it had a button-head. There is an adjoining button on the nose mask that lines up with the screw.

If you still have trouble finding the clip in the fenderwell, pull the nose mask toward the wheel at either end and you'll see the clip where the screw should be installed.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK first put it in the dryer and heat it up a bit. Just on low. Get some one to help you. Get the snaps in the right place (OK I got one right the other one back). If it is not warm out wait until mid day or do it in a heated space. The first time is tough and it takes time to stretch it out, but you can do it with help.

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

The problem is the plastics are DIFFERENT on the '06. This was covered in a previous post by another '06 owner who bought the Toyota bra. The lower part doesn't fit properly. It can be jury-rigged, but it needs a redesign.

5. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good description, Boxster. Just let me add one teensy detail.

On removing the fender liner fastener, use a small flathead screwdriver. Force the blade under one side of the plastic head and TWIST until the head pops out a little. Repeat on other side of head. Then, if the fastener hasn't popped all the way out, use a screwdriver with a slightly wider blade.

I couldn't maneuver a pliers under the fender.

If you have an '05 bra, the plastic clip on the bottom edge of the lowermost piece---in the very middle---will have nothing to clip onto.

6. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you all so much. Boxter, you pointed out the part that confused me. I now see that the top of the little Phillips screw is actually a fastener itself. I thought a part of the spring clip was the fastener. It's going to be another 80-degree day here, so I'll (hopefully) have it installed soon.

Again, thanks to all.

7. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I took everyone's advice and got the bra all set up to install. There were about TWENTY different attachment points, lots of stretching and lying on the ground trying to make this thing fit. I said to hell with it after I scratched the crystal on my watch by accidentally rubbing it on the pavement. If I have to go through all that just to take this thing off and on, it's worth a few chips in the paint just to avoid the hassle. For some reason, it just didn't seem to fit correctly, especially the bottom clips as described by Jack and jbarnhart. I may be a wimp, or whatever, but it's just not worth the pain and misery.

I'm leaving the little piece on the hood. Sort of looks neat, and comes on and off quite easily. Perhaps my ability to concentrate is going with old age, but no bottom bra for this Prius.

Again, thanks to everyone for their concern and help.