1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jfs2010, Sep 2, 2024 at 8:38 PM.

1. jfs2010

jfs2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the passenger side headlight bulb today with a new Philips D4R HID bulb. When testing it tonight after dark, I noted that it is extremely bright in the low beam setting and does not get any brighter in the high beam setting. I drove it around the block and it definitely seemed to be on high beam in the low beam setting and too bright to drive with. On the driver's side, the brightness does change from low beam to high beam.

Could it be a defective bulb, or another issue? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. jfs2010

jfs2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found this on amazon in the reviews for the bulb from a 2008 prius owner so I will try this in the morning: I did have one small issue after I changed the HID bulb myself. The drivers side was always on HIGH beam (annoying to me and to many other drivers). I searched the internet and found nothing about this problem. I finally figured out when I had installed the bulb, I had put the HID bulb ever so slightly at an angle and the high beam / low beam actuator couldn't move all the way. The solution was to re-seat the HID bulb, I un-clicked the HID pulled it out an inch and put it back in straight this time. Problem solved.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like the shutter stuck The bulb is only one brightness a shutter lifts up and down to give you high and low beam yeah I'm assuming your other lamp works just fine it's just the one you change the bulb in. The bald must be seated and clipped in properly