1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with HV Battery Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nc08prius, Dec 7, 2021.

1. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello:

Based on what I am seeing in TechStream I am fairly certain it is time to get a new HV battery for my 2008. Before I do that, would like a sanity check from the group regarding problem diagnosis. I have TechStream and a VXDIAG so can provide any additional info which may be needed...

Here is the summary of results:

[​IMG]

Here's the detail of the P3000 code:

[​IMG]

Here's some info on battery status:

[​IMG]

And here is some additional battery info:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help/verification. Please let me know if any additional info is needed.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised the battery ECU did not also report a P3017 but yes, It looks like your hybrid battery is done for. Some might suggest just replacing one or both of the modules in block 7 and depending on your penchant for doing a lot of work over and over that would be a cheap short-term option. The reality though is that replacing the hybrid battery with all new modules (OEM or aftermarket) would give you a one-time reliable repair that will not bother you for another 10–15 years. This assumes the car is in otherwise top condition and worth putting $1625–$1950 (DIY) or $2200–$2600 (pay someone to do it for you) into it.

3. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback. It actually had thrown the P3017 at one point, the scan above was taken right after I cleared the codes (probably wasn't best to do that in hindsight).

I have a local dealer lined up to purchase a new OEM pack. I do plan to install myself, the dealer stated they were fine with that.

Thanks so much for the sanity check before I invest the money into a new pack.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much are they charging?

5. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    G951047031 1 $ 1,657.50 BATTERY ASSEMBLY, HV SUPPLY
    Core Charges $ 1,350.00
    Tax $ 116.03

Total $ 3,123.53

Obviously, core charge will be refunded on return of current pack.

bisco likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not really a problem if you save the health check before returning to the main menu. You can then open the saved file at any time (you don't even need to be connected to the car) to check or review any of the PIDs.

nc08prius likes this.